Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcollins590

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Hey guys,

So I went ahead and purchased the new 27" iMac with pretty much maxed out settings:

27" 3.4Ghz with turbo boost 3.9GHz
8GB of Ram (upgraded myself to 24GB)
3TB Fusion
Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

After a rocky start of getting windows to install through bootcamp- meaning that I actually had to visit the apple store to reformat the 3TB drive after a botched partition attempt! I finally got everything working right.

Here's the issue now, when in Windows 7 (64-Bit) the resolution isn't scaled right by default. If I go into the control panel and try and adjust the display resolution it tops out at 1600x1200. I can't get anything higher than that.

What concerns me is that I can't see my video card being displayed in the display selection box. All I see is "1. Generic Non-PnP Monitor on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter."

Should I not see GTX 680mx of some form?

Also I noticed that if I check properties of the computer (again in Win 7), no video card is listed within the hardware specs list.

Guys is this normal? Besides the growing concern of the video card not being listed. I would love to up the resolution of the desktop from 1600x1200 because it's killing my eyes.

Plus I would love to actually game on the windows side which is why I have Win 7 installed in the first place.

If anyone has any help on the matter I desperately would love any input, and again my knowledge of computers is pretty limited so if anyone has advice please keep that in mind.

Oh and just FYI, I did download divers for the card directly from nvidia's website but I'm holding off on running the executable due to causing more problems.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Hey guys,

So I went ahead and purchased the new 27" iMac with pretty much maxed out settings:

27" 3.4Ghz with turbo boost 3.9GHz
8GB of Ram (upgraded myself to 24GB)
3TB Fusion
Nvidia GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5

After a rocky start of getting windows to install through bootcamp- meaning that I actually had to visit the apple store to reformat the 3TB drive after a botched partition attempt! I finally got everything working right.

Here's the issue now, when in Windows 7 (64-Bit) the resolution isn't scaled right by default. If I go into the control panel and try and adjust the display resolution it tops out at 1600x1200. I can't get anything higher than that.

What concerns me is that I can't see my video card being displayed in the display selection box. All I see is "1. Generic Non-PnP Monitor on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter."

Should I not see GTX 680mx of some form?

Also I noticed that if I check properties of the computer (again in Win 7), no video card is listed within the hardware specs list.

Guys is this normal? Besides the growing concern of the video card not being listed. I would love to up the resolution of the desktop from 1600x1200 because it's killing my eyes.

Plus I would love to actually game on the windows side which is why I have Win 7 installed in the first place.

If anyone has any help on the matter I desperately would love any input, and again my knowledge of computers is pretty limited so if anyone has advice please keep that in mind.

Oh and just FYI, I did download divers for the card directly from nvidia's website but I'm holding off on running the executable due to causing more problems.

You're supposed to use the apple drivers downloaded from the bootcamp assistant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.