Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

pebblewatch.jpg
Photo of the Pebble watch
Bloomberg reports that Apple has filed for a trademark for the term 'iWatch' in Japan:
The maker of iPhones is seeking protection for the name which is categorized as being for products including a handheld computer or watch device, according to a June 3 filing with the Japan Patent Office that was made public last week.
'iWatch' is one of the possible names for the long-rumored Apple wristwatch that has generated increasing buzz over the past year.

The filing actually represents the second 'iWatch' trademark filing discovered from Apple. The first report of the 'iWatch' trademark came from Russia, also on June 3rd.

Bloomberg repeats its February claim that Apple has a team of about 100 product designers working on a wristwatch computer. The most recent reports have suggested we won't see the Apple watch until late 2014 and that the watch will feature biometrics as a key feature, allowing for increased security and opening the door to broader health-related applications.

Article Link: Apple Has Also Filed for an 'iWatch' Trademark in Japan

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
lunatik_lynk_ipod_nano_watch_band_1.jpg

Original iWatch (the 6th Gen nano)

On a side note, how many different countries would Apple have to go through to get the trademark iWatch?
I ask in reference to the Brazil case with the name iPhone.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Not blown away by the idea of an iWatch, but am curious as to how it will look, the software and interface, but more importantly its killer feature: how will Apple convince people that this is (will be) the must-have wristwatch.

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
So this iWatch could be the total and complete interface for ie your iPhone; hardly any need to get it out in the open anymore. No more fumbling trying to retrieve your iDevice from pocket or purse, while out and about. Practically hands-free. Neat!

I'm warming up to this idea.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
I've finally taken delivery of the Pebble watch (it was over a year ago i got in on kickstarter). I've had a play with it, but im selling. Its interesting to get your email on your watch, especially if you have your phone on silent, but its not 100%, shout out brilliant. I can definitely see someone like Apple getting onboard with a design that would be the next thing everyone wants, and it would work well. Things like having the sleep cycle apps using the watch as the movement sensor instead of the phone on the bed, woken up with a silent wrist alarm on vibration. Heart rate monitor as well would be good.

Im excited about what they may come up with, and i'll probably wait till then to go for wearable tech.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
WWDC 2013 was awesome but having heard of rumors earlier this year about the "iWatch", fingerprint sensor and lower cost iPhone has me very underwhelmed. I'm looking forward to knowing more about their new major hardware refresh as well as their new Mac Pro.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Let the rumors start once again!:rolleyes:

I think there is enough interest in rumors about Apple products to warrant creating a whole website to cater to those rumors. Oh wait... never mind.

johnnw, next time you should just be honest and write "First"

Last edited:

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Not blown away by the idea of an iWatch, but am curious as to how it will look, the software and interface, but more importantly its killer feature: how will Apple convince people that this is (will be) the must-have wristwatch.
Well, isn't that always the secret sauce of Apple's products? How well it's designed and how it can be used. And isn't that ultimately what blows people away?

RonDMC

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
Can we just allow them to release the thing first before we make judgment on something that doesn't even exist yet? I wonder how many of the clowns who are prematurely saying the iWatch is rubbish are also the same ones who said the iPad was just an over sized iPod and would never sell... we all know how that turned out and I guarantee 90% of those people now either own an iPad or a tablet of some kind.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Well, isn't that always the secret sauce of Apple's products? How well it's designed and how it can be used. And isn't that ultimately what blows people away?

But Apple doesn't come up with a great new something and then try to convince you that you need it.

It makes something that solves various problems so smoothly that you don't know how no one didn't think of this before.

unr1

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I hope that these watches will have some type of antimicrobial property to them.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
iDontCare.

I wish Steve Jobs was still alive, he'd be able to convince me I need a watch.

Urgh. I'm sick of people who read, click and comment on something they supposedly don't care about.

You are banned from the Internet for one week.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I'm still trying to wrap my mind about having a smart watch. What would I do with it that I can't all ready do?

Answer the phone like a boss - or James Bond.

----------

I think the iWatch trademark is a fake. It's going to be called the Q Watch.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Why do we assume it's an extension to your iPhone? What if you don't own one, are you totally shut out then?

----------

I think the iWatch trademark is a fake. It's going to be called the Q Watch.

Apple i'M Late!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.