Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

me2013

macrumors newbie
Original poster
I keep hearing all these rumors going around that Apple is going to make an iPod touch sixth generation. Now, sit down little kiddies, grandma has a story to tell. One day, I was getting out of my car and I dropped my iPod face down on a rock. And not just a little pebble. It was a pretty big rock. So now there is a big crack going through my screen and a whole bunch of little ones on the bottom right corner. My dad and I took it to an Apple store to see if it could be fixed, and it could be, but it would cost $100. So my parents and I talked about it, and we decided that, because the cracks aren't affecting the way my iPod works or anything, we would wait until the 6th generation came out, then upgrade my iPod to that! Just a tip for anyone in the same situation. If you have any comments about my story or any questions, don't be shy to ask!

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I keep hearing all these rumors going around that Apple is going to make an iPod touch sixth generation. Now, sit down little kiddies, grandma has a story to tell. One day, I was getting out of my car and I dropped my iPod face down on a rock. And not just a little pebble. It was a pretty big rock. So now there is a big crack going through my screen and a whole bunch of little ones on the bottom right corner. My dad and I took it to an Apple store to see if it could be fixed, and it could be, but it would cost $100. So my parents and I talked about it, and we decided that, because the cracks aren't affecting the way my iPod works or anything, we would wait until the 6th generation came out, then upgrade my iPod to that! Just a tip for anyone in the same situation. If you have any comments about my story or any questions, don't be shy to ask!

The 6th gen will be out Sept/Oct 2014 and it sounds like you need a case to protect your Touch :).

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
The 6th gen will be out Sept/Oct 2014 and it sounds like you need a case to protect your Touch :).

Allow me to correct that for you:
I don't actually know when the 6th gen will be out, but I'll take a guess at Sept/Oct 2014. Also, you need a case to protect your Touch :).

Seriously, nobody knows when the 6th Gen will be out, but I'm gonna take an educated guess at September or October of this year. Apple wouldn't leave their top-end iPod touch model with a processor from 2011. If they did then by the time we reach 2014 the iPod touch would be 3 years behind.

OP, I reckon a new iPod touch will be out this year sometime in the Fall. Wait until then to either get the new one or get the 5th Gen for cheaper.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Allow me to correct that for you:

Seriously, nobody knows when the 6th Gen will be out, but I'm gonna take an educated guess at September or October of this year. Apple wouldn't leave their top-end iPod touch model with a processor from 2011. If they did then by the time we reach 2014 the iPod touch would be 3 years behind.

OP, I reckon a new iPod touch will be out this year sometime in the Fall. Wait until then to either get the new one or get the 5th Gen for cheaper.

We will see but I'll post that I was wrong if I am :D. Will you post Sept/Oct this year that you were wrong if nothing comes out this fall ? OP, the 5th gen Touch runs great and I would pick one up now if you need one.

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012

This has been discussed in at least 3 threads here, but I am with Plutonius in being quite certain that there will not be a refresh this year.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
One of the threads where this has been discussed is this one.

But in short there is likely to be an iPod touch update later this year. The real question is will bit be so minor as to not matter whether you buy one now or wait. Or will it be big enough to be worth waiting. However, if I needed a new iPod touch for whatever reason, I would not hesitate in buying one - probably an Apple refurbished one.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
We will see but I'll post that I was wrong if I am :D. Will you post Sept/Oct this year that you were wrong if nothing comes out this fall ?

I will give a full formal apology to you if I am wrong. :D

And while the 5th Gen runs great on iOS 6 and pretty good on iOS 7 (beta 3), on iOS 8 or later that could change. I doubt Apple want another situation like with the 4th Gen, whereby it was too under-powered and as a result ran iOS 6 sluggishly. I still reckon they will release an upgrade (32, 64 and possible 128GB, but not 16GB), even if the only change is the processor.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Please use one of the existing threads such as the one linked above for this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.