Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I'm having problems getting an ecommerce site off the ground and development is completely stalled. There is an existing web site running on a Webstar server but it is old and not at all SEO aware. I need to get some new content up quickly so I'm looking for a web design program that will let me get a stopgap site up quickly. I have Dreamweaver CS6 but I've only launched it a few times. I'm looking at a sale priced Rapid Weaver package which includes plugins and stacks. If I can get productive in Rapid Weaver more quickly it would be worth it. OTOH, Dreamweaver might not be too hard to learn for the relatively simple stuff I need. Basically I just want to put a fair number of photos of things by many different artists on the site. Some of the objects have multiple views. A simple hierarchy will organize things well enough so what I need from the web design program is ability to produce a decent appearance and ability to generate and update links as the static site gets edited. I did the present site as a complete newbie (and it shows) in GoLive 4, so I know a little code and get the idea of things, if not the technicalities. Would appreciate recommendations with that background in mind.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
This is an commerce site, but you seem to be implying the current site is static (maybe I have misunderstood). But how do payments work – I guess you are integrated with a third party like PayPal?

For these three requirements:
  1. Put a fair number of photos of things by many different artists on the site
  2. A simple hierarchy will organize things well enough
  3. Ability to generate and update links

It sounds very much like you should be looking at a content management system (as Consultant implies). But in order to make a good recommendation it might be nice to provide details of how the payment works for the current site, or even supply a link maybe?

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
This is an commerce site, but you seem to be implying the current site is static (maybe I have misunderstood). But how do payments work – I guess you are integrated with a third party like PayPal?

For these three requirements:
  1. Put a fair number of photos of things by many different artists on the site
  2. A simple hierarchy will organize things well enough
  3. Ability to generate and update links

It sounds very much like you should be looking at a content management system (as Consultant implies). But in order to make a good recommendation it might be nice to provide details of how the payment works for the current site, or even supply a link maybe?

Thanks for reply. Current site does not have ecommerce. It is database driven. Unfortunately it's obsolete so will be replaced rather than improved (hopefully very soon). In the interim I want to get some improved content up which is SEO aware in addition to the existing site. Basically the old site is an image database. When redesigned and retooled it will feature ecommerce and some other functions.
----------
Look into Squarespace, wordpress, and other content management systems.

Thanks. I'm a little familiar with wordpress. Might not accommodate my needs for ecommerce. Will check out Squarespace.

Last edited:

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Your issue doesn't have much to do with the particular program you choose, it's code related. You need to get up to speed with HTML and CSS in pretty much any app, understanding that is what's going to move your site forward.

Working in Wordpress or a similar CMS is a start, but without understanding what the code is going you can only get so far.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I'm having problems getting an ecommerce site off the ground and development is completely stalled....
I hate when I read someone write what I'm about to write, but here it goes: Ecommerce falls within the realm of a professional developer.
I need to get some new content up quickly so I'm looking for a web design program that will let me get a stopgap site up quickly.
I recommend ( as already recommended ) any content management system (CMS) stack; Drupal, Joomla, WordPress. I prefer WordPress only because clients 'feel' more comfortable with it.

Basically I just want to put a fair number of photos of things by many different artists on the site. Some of the objects have multiple views. A simple hierarchy will organize things well enough so what I need from the web design program is ability to produce a decent appearance and ability to generate and update links as the static site gets edited.
WordPress allows you to drag and drop photos from your folder directly into the upload media content page. WordPress themes (many free) allow you to quickly try different layout ideas.

I did the present site as a complete newbie (and it shows)...
Again, please find a professional if you must get an online store up quickly.

If you have lots of time... grab a book from the web on ecommerce programming and start studying.

Good luck!

aaawebstore

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
aaawebstore

Your problem doesn't have much to do with the particular system you select, it's system code relevant. You need to go with HTML and CSS in fairly much any application.Working in Wordpress platforms or a identical CMS is helpful.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Your problem doesn't have much to do with the particular system you select, it's system code relevant. You need to go with HTML and CSS in fairly much any application.Working in Wordpress platforms or a identical CMS is helpful.

Thanks for comment. I thought the simplest WYSIWIG editor might get me going fast. I know Wordpress and other CMS have a learning curve. Also, I'd like to have the ability to automate things which for me means on my local machine. I will look further into Wordpress.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I hate when I read someone write what I'm about to write, but here it goes: Ecommerce falls within the realm of a professional developer.

I recommend ( as already recommended ) any content management system (CMS) stack; Drupal, Joomla, WordPress. I prefer WordPress only because clients 'feel' more comfortable with it.

WordPress allows you to drag and drop photos from your folder directly into the upload media content page. WordPress themes (many free) allow you to quickly try different layout ideas.

Again, please find a professional if you must get an online store up quickly.

If you have lots of time... grab a book from the web on ecommerce programming and start studying.

Good luck!

Thanks. Understand completely about ecommerce needing a pro. I have no time to figure this stuff out.

Server based CMS systems might be more than I immediately need. What I'm trying to do now is fill a temporary gap with a completely replaceable site. I know what the simple hierarchy needs to be so really don't need much management, just some content. I will look into CMS anyway as anything requires some learning curve.

aaawebstore

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
aaawebstore

WordPress allows you to get and fall images from your directory straight into the publish press content web page. WordPress styles allow you to easily try different structure concepts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.