Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angelica314

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2013
Hi everyone. I've never had an iPhone, I'm getting the 5 in a few days, I'm coming from a Metro PCS Galaxy S3. I don't know much about updating versions and everything, and I don't like IOS 7 at all (design-wise) and wouldn't want to update from IOS 6. Can I simply ignore the update? Will the notification go away eventually? And will I have to one day update it? I'm planning on keeping the iPhone 5 for 2-3 years.

Thanks for all your help!

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
no you won't have to get it. NO the updates never go away.
IF you haven't really used iOS7 beta then how can you really make a judgement about it? Plus you're making a judgement from a beta...... not an educated judgement to say the least.

Plust better hope something doesn't go wrong or you're screwed... you will be forced to update to 7 because apple stops signing the older os's after a while.

Last edited:

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
I have similar concerns, and posted a topic like this in the iOS section.

From what I have read on the forums, you won't be forced to upgrade to iOS 7, but Apple will likely stop supporting iOS 6 with patches for bugs and security holes.

My plan is to see how iOS 7 works out on terms of stability and readability. Looking at the 7 screen shots and demos, I've found 7 harder to read, though Apple seems to be addressing this in the latest betas. I will upgrade only after I am satisfied that the new OS works well on my iPhone 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hi everyone. I've never had an iPhone, I'm getting the 5 in a few days, I'm coming from a Metro PCS Galaxy S3. I don't know much about updating versions and everything, and I don't like IOS 7 at all (design-wise) and wouldn't want to update from IOS 6. Can I simply ignore the update? Will the notification go away eventually? And will I have to one day update it? I'm planning on keeping the iPhone 5 for 2-3 years.

Thanks for all your help!

Depends in part on what you plan to do with it. Some app developers update for things in the new iOS so you would have to update to keep up with that.

And eventually you may need to in order to have access to updated carrier settings etc.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If all the apps you have or need are on iOS6 and you don't update them, then no, you won't have to upgrade.

angelica314

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2013
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Well I have not tried the beta version, which is why I said I did not like it design-wise. I really don't see how anyone could like the way it looks, way too colorful and reminds me of android, which I'm tired of.

I guess I'll just have to suck it up because I want to get the most out of the phone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
As has been mentioned, Apple only signs versions of iOS for so long. Once Apple stops signing a version, you cannot restore (revert) to it. You can only restore to the current version that Apple is signing (or in some cases, the latest version a device can run).

Sometimes there are problems, and the usual resolution is to restore your phone. As also has been mentioned, doing that means you have to restore to the latest version of iOS. Eventually that will mean iOS 7.

Coming from Android you may be familiar with the concept of rooting and custom ROMs. I have the same objections to what I see in the current iOS 7 beta as you do. I'm really not into all the pastel colors. I've got two young kids and I see enough of that on a daily basis, I don't need it on my phone.

But at some point iOS7 will probably be jailbroken, just like iOS 6.1.2 and below are now. Jailbreaking is roughly equivalent to rooting/custom ROMs on an Android. You can modify things to your liking. Right now I am jailbroken on iOS 6.1. I am waiting for iOS7 to be jailbroken before I upgrade. After that I can apply themes to change the look of iOS7 while still having the new functionality (which is similar to a lot of current jailbreak tweaks by the way).

Most likely the same team that jailbroke iOS6 will jailbreak iOS7. In the iOS6 jailbreak the upgrade/update feature was disabled so that you couldn't accidentally lose your jailbreak by pressing the update button. It also removed the upgrade/update notification badge. I can only speculate that this is something they would also include in an iOS7 jailbreak, which would remove any notification of further updates for you.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'm still using iOS 5.

The bad part about not upgrading is that 1) the update file remains on your phone and can take a lot of space 2) some of your apps won't be the latest version (shazam, in my case) 3) no the notification won't go away

Also if you ever restore your phone or take it for servicing, you'll get the latest version available.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
I'm still using iOS 5.

The bad part about not upgrading is that 1) the update file remains on your phone and can take a lot of space 2) some of your apps won't be the latest version (shazam, in my case) 3) no the notification won't go away

Also if you ever restore your phone or take it for servicing, you'll get the latest version available.

I was in the same boat as you with my iPhone 4 for a long time. The part about the update file staying on your phone and taking up space caught me off guard and really pissed me off. That's as close as Apple can get to forcing an upgrade without actually doing it, in my opinion.

I eventually set up my phone as new with iOS6 because I needed to restore it and could not on iOS5.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
No, you won't have to upgrade to iOS 7. However, like others have said, apps won't be able to upgrade and some apps that you may want could possibly be only on iOS 7.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
What happens if you're running an older version of iOS and one of your apps has an update that requires the new version?

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
It happens that you will use your phone with the older version of the app or you will update to use the new version of the app :D

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like most of the color depends on the wallpaper chosen. Choose a more subdued wallpaper and it's not nearly as colorful.

angelica314

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2013
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like most of the color depends on the wallpaper chosen. Choose a more subdued wallpaper and it's not nearly as colorful.

Yeah, I think you're kind of right. I've been seeing some videos and it's kinda growing on me. I just have this feeling that as the years pass IOS will become more and more like Android.

Thanks everyone!

Also, I wasn't planning on jailbreaking the phone, I've never rooted on android or anything of the like, so I have no experience on that subject.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I am not here to tell you what to do but...

There are a ton of features in iOS7 that really make it leaps and bounds better than anything before it. This is the most feature rich (aesthetics completely aside) OS update in years! Make the choice that is best for YOU, but I urge you to have a look at what features you would be missing if staying on iOS6. Personally, I don't mind the looks of iOS7, but even if I did (I guess this depends on to what degree of hate though) I would gladly take iOS7 for the added features it provides.

angelica314

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2013
I am not here to tell you what to do but...

There are a ton of features in iOS7 that really make it leaps and bounds better than anything before it. This is the most feature rich (aesthetics completely aside) OS update in years! Make the choice that is best for YOU, but I urge you to have a look at what features you would be missing if staying on iOS6. Personally, I don't mind the looks of iOS7, but even if I did (I guess this depends on to what degree of hate though) I would gladly take iOS7 for the added features it provides.

Thanks! You're right, it's not worth staying with the outdated IOS because I don't hate IOS 7 that much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.