Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Hey you guys,

As we all know (according to rumors) the "iPad 5 or 5th gen" is going to be released. Now I'm confused on what to do. Hold out one more year or upgrade. I'm usually the type of person who holds out on their products until I really need to upgrade. So I'm taking a few things into account: iOS 7 on iPad 2, is it like iOS 6 on iPod 4? Cuz that was terrible for me. Still is as I own an iPod 4. I'm thinking my resale value for my iPad is already crappy so I should hold on to it anyways? What do you guys thing. Any suggestions? What would YOU do? Plus my next iPad, I'm thinking 16 plus LTE so reselling my iPad is what I'm going to do to fork out the extra $ for LTE/cellular.

Cheers,
thedeejay

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Some of the features such as paralax will be missing from the iPad2 on iOS7. I would say I think youve earned an upgrade, you will get a new form factor, better internals, siri, and benefit from all the features of iOs7

iPad2013

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Upgrading my 32GB iPad 2.

I need the iPad to be lighter. If you've held a Mini, you'd want something in the same weight range.

marcoity

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
Seattle
if and when it comes out, buy it from store like best buy ... which refunds 100% on return product. Use it for a week, compare it with the iPad 2. keep it if its worth the upgrading other wise return it.

Tree2u

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Upgrading for sure..... The battery on my 2 is starting to drain faster and faster..

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I think it might be time to upgrade from my iPad 1...

OK honestly it's been way past time, but the 2 just wasn't enough, the 3 was hot, the 4 was too much like the 3...I think the 5 will be radical enough to make it worth it.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I am currey running iOS 7 beta on my iPad 2 32gb model. So far no issues like we saw with iOS 6 on the iPod and iPhone 3GS and 4. Seems to run smoothly. It may not have all the features but as far as it goes so far no real issues other then a few apps not working. But that should be fixed once the real version comes out in the fall. That being said if I had the money I would totally upgrade so that I had all the new specs lighting conector and well you know just an over all faster iPad. Just my two cents lol.

Last edited:

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
I am currey running iOS 7 beta on my iPad 2 32gb model. So far no issues like we saw with iOS 6 on the iPod and iPhone 3GS and 4. Seems to run smoothly. It may not have all the features but as far as it goes so far no real issues other then a few apps not working. But that should be fixed once the real version comes out in the fall. That being said if I had the money I would totally upgrade so that I had all the new specs lighting conector and we'll you know just an over all faster iPad. Just my two cents lol.

Yeah, this. From my experience iOS 7 runs just fine on all A5 devices. It shouldn't be an issue with the iPad 2.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Yeah, this. From my experience iOS 7 runs just fine on all A5 devices. It shouldn't be an issue with the iPad 2.

Don't tell that to Tim Cook. Apple will see even lower numbers for the iPad. At some point you got to figure that updating old tabs like the iPad 2 will back fire on Apple. I would expect the iPad 2 to be discontinued from upgrades in 2014 just to get people to open their wallets.

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
I've still got an iPad 2 since it first launched (it's like 2 years and 4 months old, right?). I definately feel I'm due an upgrade largely for the benefit of a retina display so then I can subscribe to NewScientist magazine on my iPad :) and actually be able to read the text easily. The icons in the status bar on iOS7 don't look great on my iPad 2. It's like Apple haven't really gave much thought about refining icons for the lower-resolution displays. They look fine on iOS6. I think the status bar icons have slightly decreased in size though, so that would partly explain why they don't look as crisp.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
If it works for you and does everything you need it to do I wouldn't bother upgrading. I always try and find excuses as to why I should upgrade when in reality, my devices work just fine.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
if it ain't broke, don't replace it lol

if i were you and you've been fine without a Retina screen, i would keep the iPad 2

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I will most certainly upgrade to another 32 GB cellular version. The iPad2 works fine, but excited and ready for the newer hardware features and native IOS7. But will feel obligated to wait until the next mini announcement to make sure I want the 5 rather than the new mini.

KittiFatale

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I've been wanting to upgrade my iPad 2 (64GB WiFi+3G) for some time now, especially after being exposed to the retina display on the iPhone 4 and 5. It still works great and still looks flawless. Hopefully I'll get a good sale value on it.

MindsEye

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
My 32gb wifi 2gen is still alive and kicking but the limitations of 512mb ram is beyond irratating with the constant page reloads in safari. Also having to be very conscious with the amount of apps running.

Along with the weight reductions, Doubling the RAM to 2GB will be enough to make me bite the bullet. Looking at replacing my current with a 64GB cellular version.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I'll get a new ipad from this cycle only if I decide to go mini.

If not, I'll stick with 2 for now - thriftiness is partly because I am unsure if a full size iOS or Windows 8 tablet is better for me.

brilliantthings

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Hey you guys,

I'm usually the type of person who holds out on their products until I really need to upgrade.
I'm thinking my resale value for my iPad is already crappy so I should hold on to it anyways?

I'm in the same position. It ain't broke. It's only been two years. See how ios 7 goes on ipad 2. But next year might be our upgrade year I think.

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Most definitely replacing my 32GB iPad 2. Reasons I didn't upgrade to the 3rd or 4th generation were the additional size, weight and longer charge periods. If the 5th generation is thinner and lighter, I'll be happily joining the retina crowd.

tiptopp

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
Norwich, UK
Upgrading

I have iOS7 on my iPad 2, and am not really happy with it. But I also use it a lot to watch TV and video, so want retina. And more space (I've got 16Gb).

So I'll be getting iPad 5, at least 32Gb, with LTE (I only have Wifi so have to use a Mifi to get internet access at work - costing £15 a month). Vodafone keep trying to give me a 'free' iPad 4 on a fairly good contract - I've told them to keep the offer open for the 5!

My daughters are quite excited about me having a new one - as they think they're getting the 2!

Tiptopp

td1439

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Boston-ish
I'm finding myself in a bit of a pickle here. I currently have an iPad 2 that I use for work. I'm a teacher, and my school is moving to a 1:1 iPad program for our 3 oldest grades. I've agreed to sell my iPad to the school for $200, and I will put that money towards a new iPad for myself. My conundrum lies in the anticipated release date of the iPad 5. Given the expected features, I would really prefer to get the 5. However, the news that the next iPhone version is expected to be introduced in mid-September makes me wonder if they are going to wait until October to even announce the 5, and I'm not sure I can go that long with no iPad at all (obviously I will need to get my current iPad to the school by the first week of September when the students return).

Is it even remotely possible that Apple has the iPad 5 available for sale by early October?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.