Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this year, Feedly launched a new RSS cloud platform to replace Google Reader, garnering the service more than eight million new users.

Today the company has introduced Feedly Pro, a new feature that it is beta testing. Feedly Pro, which will be priced at $5/month, comes with a number of premium features for users:
- Article search: Search within your Feedly feeds
- Https: Add a layer of security to your Feedly browsing
- Evernote: One-click save to any of your Evernote notebooks
- Premium Support: Get bumped to the front of the support line
According to the site, the proceeds from Feedly Pro will be used to fund hardware requirements and additional Pro features that will be added in the future. Feedly desktop will receive Pro first, but eventually, it will be extended to the company's mobile apps.

feedlypro.jpg
At this point in time, the 5,000 limited edition subscriptions (lifetime versions priced at $99) the company offered for the current test of Feedly Pro have sold out, but Feedly plans to offer additional Pro accounts later this year.

The Feedly service can be accessed via the website, or through the company's free mobile app. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Feedly Introduces Pro Service with Article Search, Evernote Integration

omgwut

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
Feedly is awesome. Easily the best post-Google Reader RSS service I have used so far.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Aside from article search, none of the "pro" feature seem all that valuable. Features like Evernote can be done by using 3rd party apps. I would like to support Feedly but $60/year seem rather excessive.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I want to like Feedly and wish them well--but for me it has never done the most basic thing an RSS reader should do: store the fact that you have read something (or manually marked it as read). In either case, it grays out (or sometimes removes?) the read item, seeming to do what it's supposed to. But you come back later and 100% of the time, some or all of your most recently read items are suddenly unread again. It has been this way from the start, on desktop and mobile alike.

There is an annoying workaround I have found: read (or mark as unread) the item and then let the web page (or the mobile app) sit a while untouched. After 1 or 2 minutes, the read-state will have synched to their cloud successfully. Not much help if you want to use your phone for other things, or keep your open browser tabs under control.

It's as though it takes many tries before it transmits the read-state, or else it delays those transmissions intentionally--and if you exit the app or page too soon, the transmission never happens. (It's not delay getting the read-state pushed back from the cloud, because waiting and refreshing never helps.)

I'd also like an Unread count--I miss that from Safari's built-in RSS. Another pretty basic thing. But I can be patient. They put this together in a hurry, and that's impressive!

itbeme

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
Problem with Feedly is it is still using Google login. I do not have, not will I ever have a Google account. Until Feedly breaks free of Google, I`m fine with Caffineated (which also links to other services such as Evernote, Pocket, Instagram blah, blah). That`s a 5€ app and I`m done with it. Even thought that app is English only, it works for me.

I too wanted to like Feedly, but its just too tethered to Google to be appealing.

Aidyn's X

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
So people still use rss? I thought it went the way of the widget and ping friends.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So people still use rss? I thought it went the way of the widget and ping friends.

Until someone comes up with a better way to follow news on 68 different web sites... RSS it is. :)

I agree if you just follow a couple sites, Twitter can get the job done, but for large numbers of sites I have not found anything close to what RSS can do. Particularly when coupled with Yahoo Pipes.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Aside from article search, none of the "pro" feature seem all that valuable. Features like Evernote can be done by using 3rd party apps. I would like to support Feedly but $60/year seem rather excessive.

Feedly is pricey. I'm pretty happy with Feedbin.

Can't one do the Evernote feature with IFTTT?

omgwut

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
RSS may be dated but until a better standard comes along to perform the same thing, its still the best way to aggregate your news sources into one feed.

I mean it just copies text & content from the article body and outputs them in a custom style, it already does everything it needs. No point in convoluting the tech if it works.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Problem with Feedly is it is still using Google login. I do not have, not will I ever have a Google account. Until Feedly breaks free of Google, I`m fine with Caffineated (which also links to other services such as Evernote, Pocket, Instagram blah, blah). That`s a 5€ app and I`m done with it. Even thought that app is English only, it works for me.

I too wanted to like Feedly, but its just too tethered to Google to be appealing.

Serious question: when you do a search for content on the Internet, which search engine do you use?

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL

$60/year (laugh)

Yah right

----------

Being a pilot, on planes all day (with no wifi) its the best way to stay up to date on my news.

Reeder, Feedbin, update before I take off, and I got all the news on the phone to read.......offline

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Probably Ask Jeeves :D

It was a serious question. I'm just wondering if there are real people out there who completely shun Google, including the search engine (which could be hard since many websites use Google for their own search function). And if they still do, what makes them thing Google (or any other search engine) isn't tracking every site they go to regardless of "signing in" or not. The only way to skirt this would be to use a public computer for all your web searches.

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
It was a serious question. I'm just wondering if there are real people out there who completely shun Google, including the search engine (which could be hard since many websites use Google for their own search function). And if they still do, what makes them thing Google (or any other search engine) isn't tracking every site they go to regardless of "signing in" or not. The only way to skirt this would be to use a public computer for all your web searches.

DuckDuckGo.com doesn't track anything (Their site explaining this: http://donttrack.us), but I've found their results to be worse than Googles sadly.

itbeme

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011

Here`s your serious answer:

I use the Google search engine every day. I do not have a Google account. Those are two different things.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.

I use the Google search engine every day. I do not have a Google account. Those are two different things.

Oh, you poor naive child. :rolleyes:

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
feebly is the best, never made me miss the google RSS reader, there's a high chance that i might join the premium serevice, after all, it's all about quality.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

What's your aversion to having a Google account? I don't assume anything these days.

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
this is the turning point, now they wont focus on the free version enough, they'll get busy adding more and more features to the premium version and doing nothing for the free version. that's how they force us to go pro and pay them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.