Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twelve South today unveiled a new adjustable pedestal stand designed to work with both Apple's iPhone 5 and the iPad mini. Made from brushed metal to match other Apple/Mac accessories, the HiRise is designed to work with a Lightning cable and nearly any iPhone or iPad mini case.

hirise.jpg
Place HiRise in your workspace to charge while your hands are free during calls and FaceTime chats.

Unlike most other docks, HiRise doesn't block your speakers, mic or headphone ports. This vertical pedestal is small and beautiful enough to use anywhere in your home or office. It's the ultimate perch for keeping your iPhone 5 or iPad mini fully charged and ready to go.
According to Twelve South, the stand works with a wide variety of popular cases, from Otterbox to Speck to the company's own BookBook. The rear support on the HiRise can slide back and forth and multiple height clips for the Lightning cable allow it to accommodate the majority of cases. With standard docks and stands, device cases often have to be removed.

The HiRise stand can be purchased from the Twelve South website for $34.99.

Article Link: Twelve South Releases Adjustable HiRise Stand for iPhone 5 and iPad Mini

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
That is 1 sexy stand.... Would love it if there was a "dual" version like the XtremeMac docks.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I love Twelve South stuff. :p Their gear looks like it's designed by Apple themselves, unlike most other stuff on the Apple peripheral market.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I won't comment on the price, but I will say it looks sweet with an iPad Mini!

HiRiseiPhone_music_headerlarge.jpg

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
I love Twelve South stuff. :p Their gear looks like it's designed by Apple themselves, unlike most other stuff on the Apple peripheral market.

Exactly because with Apple's iphone docks you had to assemble them for half an hour and have special screw drivers at hand. Oh boy, what a great product that is! So Apple like.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
35 for the stand + 19 for another cable because your not going to want to disassemble it everytime you need to go somewhere = 55 plus tax.

screw that. I got a better solution.

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-5-Desktop-Charging-Dock/dp/B00CL0CXG6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_cps_13 = 5 dolla make u holla

You make a good point that having to supply your own lightning cable does jack up the overall price. However the dock you linked screams cheap all over it. Sorry, I wouldn't pay $5 for that.

Exactly because with Apple's iphone docks you had to assemble them for half an hour and have special screw drivers at hand. Oh boy, what a great product that is! So Apple like.

I agree. It looked nice until I saw the video. The assembly part with screws is a buzz kill. I think I'll stick with my pre-order of Belkin's MIXIT ChargeSync dock in green color which requires no assembly, includes a built in lightning cable, and has a great minimalist looking design in my opinion.

http://www.belkin.com/us/F8J045-Belkin/p/P-F8J045

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal
I would get one of these things, they look awesome, but this is at a ridiculous price IMO.
You have to assemble it yourself, you need to get a Lightning cable at hand, it doesn't have any technology whatsoever.

I'd buy it for $20 because of the looks. But it doesn't deserve the staggering $35 price tag.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Looks very nice, but $35 and BYOLC ridiculous. $15-20 should be their real price point.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Quite recently, (as a result of my attention having been drawn to this company's products on this very forum), I bought some of the Twelve South BookBook cases for my MBA and my iPad mini; I must say that they look gorgeous, are solidly constructed, and yes, are also portable.

Irrespective of price, I'm a big fan of good design, elegance, use of high quality materials, and the idea that form and function can combine in one elegant product. Twelve South manages that; this looks lovely, I must say.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Would you make one of these for $20? If so, I may have a job for you. ...because if I went downstairs to our machine shop and told them to make me 1000 of these, they'd cost over $100 a piece just to produce, and that's before marketing & advertising costs.

If $35 is exorbitant, but $20 is acceptable, you're arguing over $15. You blow more than that rounding off lunch tips in a week. Suck it up.

...If they set msrp at $20 you'd just complain it should have been $10. But it's understandable. To people who don't value craftsmanship & manufacturing, and have been told for a couple generations that such work is beneath them, nothing is worth anything, and few have any idea what it actually takes to build a product and bring it to market anymore. Everything should just be free.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
Would you make one of these for $20? If so, I may have a job for you. ...because if I went downstairs to our machine shop and told them to make me 1000 of these, they'd cost over $100 a piece just to produce, and that's before marketing & advertising costs.

So true. So many people fail to realize the company making them has to make a profit or it's not worth their time. So easy to look at the item and judge it based solely on the size, amount of pieces and material and just say "what, 35 for couple pieces of metal!? Crazy!" But then you take a real-world look at it and realize shipping, manufacturing, advertising, returns, marketing, production... it's overwhelming... for couple pieces of metal.

Identity Fraud

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
I really don't get the elitism of some people here, what may be a value for you is cost prohibitive for someone else. There really isn't any need for go be critical of people who feel its too much for what it offers by saying its "not much money".

Anyways, if this can fit a life proof case I'm sold, I'd just use it for work where I already have a lighting cable connected to my computer 24/7 to charge my phone so the lack of a built in cable doesn't impact my decision.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
35 for the stand + 19 for another cable because your not going to want to disassemble it everytime you need to go somewhere = 55 plus tax.

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-5-Desktop-Charging-Dock/dp/B00CL0CXG6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_cps_13 = 5 dolla make u holla

It's insane that Apple doesn't make something like that, a dock that is actually high quality and works. They really dropped the ball by not having this and leaving it in fumbling hands of 3rd party developers.

I want a dock at least as elegant/small and capable/fully featured as the iphone 4/4S dock that I use nightly. That could have been done easily in my opinion. They could improve it even, by just routing the speaker sound passively through the dock, and allowing the headphone jack to include mic input (which is not a feature of the 4/4S dock, but should be -- it works great next to a stereo but not with a headset or retro style phone accessory).

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

If $35 is exorbitant, but $20 is acceptable, you're arguing over $15. You blow more than that rounding off lunch tips in a week. Suck it up.

...If they set msrp at $20 you'd just complain it should have been $10. But it's understandable. To people who don't value craftsmanship & manufacturing, and have been told for a couple generations that such work is beneath them, nothing is worth anything, and few have any idea what it actually takes to build a product and bring it to market anymore. Everything should just be free.

1) They are 3 pieces of square metal and 3 pieces of plastic. Their shape is not unusual.
2) They are made in CHINA which makes cost REALLY go down.
3) To make them it probably costs them ~$6 including packaging.
4) 35-20=15. Which you say it's not a lot, but in actuality is 42% less which is A LOT.
5) Impossible your machinists will charge at cost $100 for these small metal parts.
5a) They are not making 1,000 but probably 250,000 of them at least. See how price and production cost can come down ;)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Aside from the price, this actually looks extremely well made. I actually enjoyed watching put-it-together video. A large amount of thought went into this one, that's for sure.

Actually, I just ordered one. :D

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

I leave my earphones plugged into my iPhone 5 pretty much at all times, so that dock would be useless to me. And not to mention my phone is in a case, so that dock is still useless to me.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Check out the Kidigi dock, I have one and it works with my case. Also doesn't stand the iPhone ridiculously high up in the air lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KiDiGi-BLAC...S_Cell_Phone_PDA_Chargers&hash=item43be61ef77

You lost me at ebay...

----------

I guess I'm the kind of person that would prefer buying something that costs me $35, looks nice and will last ages: vs buying something that will cost me $5 and either last a month, or burn my house down, and it looks dreadful.

Or kill you...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.