Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelHodder

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Oxford
I'm considering buying a few iPod Classics as an investment for the next ten/twenty years. Buy them, keep with receipt and in sealed box, then sell in ten/twenty years.

Presuming Apple does eventually (within the next five or so years) discontinue the iPod Classic line, this is sure to be a solid investment right?

Any thoughts/comments/predictions!?

Joel

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
It won't make you a lot of money, if any at all. For one, there are hundreds of millions of iPods. Not all of them are Classics, but I presume that the point of "investing" in the Classic is because of its classic scroll wheel design, which many of those millions of iPods sold have. Also, inflation will probably take a bite out of whatever money you do make on it.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'm considering buying a few iPod Classics as an investment for the next ten/twenty years. Buy them, keep with receipt and in sealed box, then sell in ten/twenty years.

Presuming Apple does eventually (within the next five or so years) discontinue the iPod Classic line, this is sure to be a solid investment right?

Any thoughts/comments/predictions!?

Joel

In ten years time, I'll be a cheap used iPhone 8 on eBay with more capacity :D

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Maybe in.....

30-50 years the iPod Classic become a collectors prized item. But not as the Apple II or Lisa boards getting thousands of dollars in auction houses....

:):apple:

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
I presume you think they would be as valuable as sealed iPods on ebay today? A first generation sealed classic could fetch thousands of dollars...

Well, it could be like that, but you have to consider that Apple as a brand is very "hyped" today. Anything apple could sell for high prices at ebay. In ten or twenty years time, the hype could be gone, and who would be interested? Would you buy a "sealed" VHS recorder from JVC today? I'll guess not ;)

You also should consider that when the iPod was introduced in 2001, who had the bright idea of keeping a mp3 player from apple unopened as a future investment? Not many people at all, hence not that many left sealed which means very high value on the collectors market today! Nowadays a lot of people collect and buy these to sell with a profit in later years, and there will always be a lot more of later models on the market, and they will never be as valuable.

I would invest my money in gold or art instead :D

Last edited:

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
No.

Your biggest collectors, already have a few saved for them. And so do museums. And Apple will probably have some of their own to hand over too. Don't be stupid enough to think that Apple doesn't have mint and working models of all their devices, because the fact that they were able to replace the 1st gen iPod Nanos say otherwise.

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
not a good investment, besides you have plenty of time to buy, they are not selling now but Apple will keep them going for awhile still, it's their good luck charm, if you could get hold of the original 2001 October model mint with packaging that be worth a few thousand bucks!

JoelHodder

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Oxford
Whoops just bought 5! Haha! But thanks for all of your interesting points...

One of the iPod I bought is for personal use however, and I noticed that when I first plugged it into iTunes and got the 'welcome to your new iPod' screen....the background image only showed the Touch, Nano and Shuffle.... a sign of the Classic's imminent departure perhaps? (hopefully?!).

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Whoops just bought 5! Haha! But thanks for all of your interesting points...

One of the iPod I bought is for personal use however, and I noticed that when I first plugged it into iTunes and got the 'welcome to your new iPod' screen....the background image only showed the Touch, Nano and Shuffle.... a sign of the Classic's imminent departure perhaps? (hopefully?!).

Hopefully not!:mad:

Hopefully? Damn you! Some of us want a new, updated Classic. :(

I agree. I'm totally down for a new one. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.