Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
I had unlimited with my first iPhone and gave it up in 2009 to save $5 per month for 2GB vs unlimited. Needless to say I am kicking myself for it now. :banghead: At that time I didn't realize the value of unlimited as I was barely crossing 250MB per month. Now I struggle to stay under 2GB every month. FML. Is there any way to get unlimited data back? Has anyone had success doing it with AT&T? What reason could one give for asking for that feature back?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Still have it on one of our phones, grandfathered from the original iPhone. Gave mine up when I needed tethering.

No way to get it back, once it's gone.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
My wife and I both have unlimited and hope to never give it up. I've read people buying it from others on EBay but don't know if its still being done successfully.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The only thing you can do is switch to a carrier that still offers unlimited. Depending on the area, they may have LTE. I suspect that once Sprint and T-mobile have built out there LTE networks, their unlimited plans will suddenly be limited in some way though.

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
I am still under my grandfathered unlimited data plan from when I got the original iPhone back in Feb 2008.

Now I sit on my nearly 2 year old iPhone 4S, patiently awaiting the release of the 5S. I have no plans to part with my unlimited data plan. Even though keeping unlimited apparently means I am not allowed to tether, nor am I allowed to FaceTime over cellular, I don't care. It's not worth giving up unlimited.

That said, with the 4S, I really don't go over 2-2.5 GB per month. However, when I get my hands on the 5S and it has LTE, I can see how things may change.

My Dad still has his unlimited data plan too, from the iPhone 3G back in 2008. He is currently on the iPhone 5 (he's NOT on the "S" cycle) and has retained his grandfathered plan. Neither of us plan to part with unlimited.

At least AT&T (for now anyway) allows grandfathered customers to upgrade for subsidized pricing and still keep their unlimited data plans. My lady, who is on Verizon, had to give up unlimited and go tiered (2 GB/month for $30) when she upgraded from her Droid 2 to a iPhone 4S last Oct. But she barely uses much data so it made no real difference to her anyway.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I am still under my grandfathered unlimited data plan from when I got the original iPhone back in Feb 2008.

Now I sit on my nearly 2 year old iPhone 4S, patiently awaiting the release of the 5S. I have no plans to part with my unlimited data plan. Even though keeping unlimited apparently means I am not allowed to tether, nor am I allowed to FaceTime over cellular, I don't care. It's not worth giving up unlimited.

That said, with the 4S, I really don't go over 2-2.5 GB per month. However, when I get my hands on the 5S and it has LTE, I can see how things may change.

My Dad still has his unlimited data plan too, from the iPhone 3G back in 2008. He is currently on the iPhone 5 (he's NOT on the "S" cycle) and has retained his grandfathered plan. Neither of us plan to part with unlimited.

At least AT&T (for now anyway) allows grandfathered customers to upgrade for subsidized pricing and still keep their unlimited data plans. My lady, who is on Verizon, had to give up unlimited and go tiered (2 GB/month for $30) when she upgraded from her Droid 2 to a iPhone 4S last Oct. But she barely uses much data so it made no real difference to her anyway.

FYI, you can now do FaceTime over cellular even on AT&T's grandfathered unlimited plan. I believe that change occurred a few months ago.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I still have the unlimited plan with at&t. I bought my first iPhone, the 3G on launch day. I skipped the next two and got the 4S on launch day. (I would have gotten the 4 but I was concerned about "antenna gate".) So now I'm on the S cycle and I'm happy with that. I'll be getting the 5S when it releases.

I hope to keep the unlimited data plan for as long as it's offered.

I've never heard of anyone getting it back once they've relinquished it though.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
FYI, you can now do FaceTime over cellular even on AT&T's grandfathered unlimited plan. I believe that change occurred a few months ago.

Only with the iPhone 5 for right now. The 4 and 4S still have to wait, as they plan on changing that by the end of the year.

Back to the OP: my wife and I are still on unlimited plans that we had with the iPhone 3G. Not planning on giving it up either.

BL.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

you can facetime using celular w/ unlimited, I do it w/ my 4S ;)

TS, I'm keeping mine as long as possible.
Once you remove it you can't take it back.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
you can facetime using celular w/ unlimited, I do it w/ my 4S ;)

TS, I'm keeping mine as long as possible.
Once you remove it you can't take it back.

It's not enabled on my wife's grandfathered 4S, or two other grandfathered 4Ss in the family. If you try and enable it, it gives the message to contact AT&T. (Unless something's changed recently.)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You're out of luck.
I still have unlimited data on 3 iphone lines on my account.
Never switched away to save a few dollars.
If I watch youtube or sling player for a few hours I can go over 2GB's of data.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
It's not enabled on my wife's grandfathered 4S, or two other grandfathered 4Ss in the family. If you try and enable it, it gives the message to contact AT&T. (Unless something's changed recently.)

Maybe you need to reset network settings and see if that makes it work. It didn't in mine until a few months back that I noticed I could enable it. Make sure you are receiving the AT&T updates.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

I think they're rolling it out slowly. On all 3 of my unlimited data iphone 5 phones facetime over cellular data is enabled.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I think they're rolling it out slowly. On all 3 of my unlimited data iphone 5 phones facetime over cellular data is enabled.

Nope, not able to yet. My 4S, with a 2G (now 3?) plan automatically enabled FaceTime over cellular a few months back; tried the unlimited plan 4S and it's unable to enable it. Just tried it a few minutes ago, and still nothing. Thanks for info, though.

(OP: sorry for the brief highjack…)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I had unlimited with my first iPhone and gave it up in 2009 to save $5 per month for 2GB vs unlimited. Needless to say I am kicking myself for it now. :banghead: At that time I didn't realize the value of unlimited as I was barely crossing 250MB per month. Now I struggle to stay under 2GB every month. FML. Is there any way to get unlimited data back? Has anyone had success doing it with AT&T? What reason could one give for asking for that feature back?

What is gone is gone. If you gave it up, it won't come back.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Like most have said, once it's removed from your account its gone. Unlimited data is great. I have it with Verizon with unlimited hotspot. The only drawback is I have to pay full retail for my iphone. :rolleyes:

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
No way to get it back since its no longer offered.

Can't get it back. They clearly tell you its gone once you switch off.

NOT TRUE! I willingly gave it up last year and went on the 5GB plan. I then called CS with this bogus story how I never agreed to the change. It was escalated in about a week I got it back.

So yeah, you just have to know who to talk to. ;)

bruceleroy

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
It is possible but not very easy. I called at least 10 times to have it restored. Depends on the representative

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
NOT TRUE! I willingly gave it up last year and went on the 5GB plan. I then called CS with this bogus story how I never agreed to the change. It was escalated in about a week I got it back.

So yeah, you just have to know who to talk to. ;)

A single event in a very large pool of calls does not mean the plan will come back. It most likely means you got lucky.

Unlimited data is gone... for good. You best hope is to "buy" the plan from someone who is getting rid of theirs.

BarryL

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2012
My friend cannot FT over 3G/4G (HSPA) on her 4S still. She's got unlimited data plan.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Unlimited plan here, used 11GB data last month on LTE. Never giving it up!

11GB? No wonder some of us are being throttled... true we have the capability, but why 11GB? What are you doing on a phone?

I view lots of YouTube videos and browse the web constantly, and even then I still don't hit 5GB a month... Mind you I sometimes kill in a few hours my battery due to web browsing/internet videos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.