Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The English Premier League football season begins this weekend and NBC, the new rights holder for EPL games in the United States, will be streaming every game live and on-demand on both its website, and via its NBC Sports Live Extra app for iPhone and iPad.

EPL.png
This year the EPL license for the US was bought by NBC and the US will get to see every single match. Matches will show on NBC, NBC Sports, streaming from the NBC site, and for the first time ever, live streaming in the NBC Sports Live Extra app. According to NBC, every single match will be live streamed in the app. That's right, every single match of the entire EPL season. The US is the only country that gets that luxury, not even the home country of the UK gets to watch every single match. I'm a bit excited, can you tell?
In order to watch the streaming games, users must authenticate via TV Everywhere.

NBC Sports Live Extra is currently available for Comcast Xfinity, Verizon Fios, Cablevision, Suddenlink, Mediacom, Bend and Grande customers. It is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: NBC Streaming All English Premier League Football Matches in U.S. via NBC Sports Live Extra App

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Until they start giving "cord cutters" the chance to buy these packages without a cable/satellite package, there's little point to the app. If you have cable or satellite, you'll be able to get the games live on TV. I suppose the replay feature would be nice, but unless you've got a ton of bandwidth and unlimited data, streaming away from home isn't going to work well either.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Until they start giving "cord cutters" the chance to buy these packages without a cable/satellite package, there's little point to the app. If you have cable or satellite, you'll be able to get the games live on TV. I suppose the replay feature would be nice, but unless you've got a ton of bandwidth and unlimited data, streaming away from home isn't going to work well either.

Yep. I'll continue to pirate what ever shows or games I want. Simply because they won't offer packages on events and seasons. I don't want 9000 channels of crap just to watch one dam thing. The sooner the cable company realizes this. The better their future will be. Really hopping Apple step in and change the market the way they did for music.

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006

Nope, NBC is only showing 3 of the matches live on Saturday across NBC and NBC Sports network. The app would allow you to watch the other 4 matches live as well via the app. Unfortunately it doesn't look like Time Warner Cable is making the app accessible for subscribers (even though it costs them nothing). TWC customers are not happy about it at all:

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/NBC-SPORTS-Live-Extra/td-p/411/page/6

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I signed up to the www.premierleaguepass.com service out of New Zealand as that is a streaming only service.

I'd happily pay $100 to nbc for a streaming only service.

You might get some for less. USTVNow has six free US channels, including some that stream PL matches. There is an unofficial USTVNow Plex plugin that works with Sky's £10 Roku NowTV boxes. USTVNow is not the best streaming service but you cannot argue with the price. At the moment, there is just a lot of golf and baseball, neither of which interests me in the slightest.

You just need to sign up on the USTVNow website and pretend to be a US citizen - no address or CC required.

extradryny

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
This is very nice, since not all games will be televised. Hopefully AirPlay is built in and compression doesn't suck, since getting it onto the TV is the point (and my mileage has varied with mirroring).

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

the price of these to cord cutters is the same as internet + cable TV

time warner you can buy internet + TV for $90. internet alone is $50. you might as well buy the cable TV sub since it will include watch ESPN that gives you access to a lot of soccer

MacFan1957

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Oh you mean soccer... who cares.

Well as it turns out a LOT of people. Football (Soccer to you) is the most popular and most watched sport on Earth! Its the only true World game, much more so than some sports I could name!

MacFan1957

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
This is very nice, since not all games will be televised. Hopefully AirPlay is built in and compression doesn't suck, since getting it onto the TV is the point (and my mileage has varied with mirroring).

Having used it for last years Olympics I can tell you there is no Airplay and the app is awful! There is no point in streaming the content if its going to look like you have a dialup connection.

stigzy

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2008
Norway
So, if I understand this right. I can watch all Premier League games FREE?! in the NBC Sports Live app? Or am I missing something?

EDIT: I am from Norway btw, but got an American App Store account :)

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
wonder if there is a way to install the app in the UK and pay for it from the UK. The coverage in the UK is terrible. If your team is playing away you cant watch the full match if it kicks off at 3pm on sat which the majority do, we are stuck with the radio or 5mins of highlights, unless you go to not strictly legal streaming sites which are mostly poor quality.

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
If your team is playing away you cant watch the full match if it kicks off at 3pm on sat which the majority do, we are stuck with the radio or 5mins of highlights, unless you go to not strictly legal streaming sites which are mostly poor quality.

Or you can actually go to the game. Away days are the best thing about football!

rtues-d2

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2012
Arizona
It's a shame my current cable provider isn't participating in this but on the upside, at least Manchester United's game away to Swansea is gonna be on NBC!

JoeBobBriggs

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
So, if I understand this right. I can watch all Premier League games FREE?! in the NBC Sports Live app? Or am I missing something?

Sorry, you are going to need to be a customer of a specific US cable provider in order to use the app. It sounds very much like how WatchESPN does it, where you have to log in with your ISP account.

Since I am a customer of Verizon FIOS I wonder how much I could get for my login for the EPL? ;)

stigzy

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2008
Norway
Sorry, you are going to need to be a customer of a specific US cable provider in order to use the app. It sounds very much like how WatchESPN does it, where you have to log in with your ISP account.

Since I am a customer of Verizon FIOS I wonder how much I could get for my login for the EPL? ;)

How much does it cost a month for a customer of Verizon FIOS? Just wondering....

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005

Nope. You need to authenticate with an account from a US cable provider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.