Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
Doom 3 was on sale recently at the MAS so I took advantage in order to play the Classic Doom 3 mod. I'm noticing a strange issue on my MacBook Pro (late-2011, AMD Radeon 6770M, OS X 10.8.4). If automatic graphic switching is enabled, when I launch the game in full-screen mode, the display and menus become garbled and show in a very low resolution. Running the game in a window or disabling automatic graphic switching in system preferences fixes the problem.

Could this issue be due, at least in part, to the fact that I have an SSD and the game loads too quickly for the GPU to switch over properly? I say this because gfxCardStatus is not showing that the change takes place before the game goes full screen. Naturally, running in windowed mode shows gfxCardStatus in the correct mode.

Another problem I have with this game is that upon launch, my display calibration changes to show a blue tint. This is an issue with Valve games as well; I've always assumed it has to do with the SSD as well and just lived with it, but I've never had it happen with anything other than Valve titles until I tried Doom 3. The blue tint occurs even when the Doom 3 launch screen that asks if I want to run full screen or in a window appears.

Anyone else experiencing these issues? Blair from Aspyr, are you able to weigh in on this?

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Ok...dug into the Doom 3 history and we can't find any mention of the issue. I'm so sorry you are having the pesky problem. Any chance you would submit a support ticket, so we can dig into your system profile a bit? support.aspyr.com

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2013
Any chance you would submit a support ticket, so we can dig into your system profile a bit? support.aspyr.com

Done and done. I attached a system report and a screenshot showing what I see when the menu loads when automatic graphic switching is enabled.

mario-64

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Thanks! This really helps us nail down weird stuff like this.:apple:
Can we please get an update on this Blair? I recently got a rMBP and can confirm the bug. Unless you disable automatic graphics switching the game is completely unplayable. It's like the game gets confused as to the correct screen resolution resulting in parts of the image being off screen. Customer reviews on the Mac App Store also mention this issue

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Can we please get an update on this Blair? I recently got a rMBP and can confirm the bug. Unless you disable automatic graphics switching the game is completely unplayable. It's like the game gets confused as to the correct screen resolution resulting in parts of the image being off screen. Customer reviews on the Mac App Store also mention this issue

I can confirm its still in the database. Due to bandwidth issues right now (we are SLAMMED) we currently are simply helping folks disable AGS to get them going. There is a similar issue in COD2. Frankly, when something has a work-around it gets bumped down on our list of stuff to fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.