Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Major third-party Mac retailers such as B&H and Amazon have begun offering discounts on various iMac configurations in recent days as Apple may be beginning to slow shipments of the computer in advance of a refresh featuring Intel's Haswell processors, reports AppleInsider. The company seems to be slowing the flow of iMac units coming into its various sales channels as the next-generation iMac will likely be announced later in the fall after its September iPhone media event to allow Apple, its customers, and the media to focus on its flagship mobile device.

newimac-500x372.jpg
The discounts join sales efforts initiated earlier this month by Best Buy, Amazon, and MacMall -- all of which are similarly offering the four standard iMac retail configurations at discounts between $100 and $150. Given the new inventory management measures Apple adopted after January's MacBook Pro surplus scare, the discounts are likely the start of a multi-week effort to run its iMac channel fairly bare.
Previous reports indicated that the iMac would be updated to include Haswell processors in June or July as shipments sank, but an update to the computer was not announced at or soon after Apple's annual Worldwide Developer Conference.

Earlier this year, a new Broadcom Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card supporting the latest 802.11ac Wi-Fi standard surfaced, with the card appearing nearly identical in size and shape to the custom card currently used in the iMac. The inclusion of 802.11ac support on the next-generation iMac is all but certain as the standard has already made its way into Apple's latest MacBook Air models and new AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule base stations.

Yesterday, a report surfaced that refreshed MacBook Pro models with Haswell chips would be coming in September, backed by evidence that Apple vendors may be trying to run down existing MacBook Pro stock. Data from U.S. research firm NPD released last month also indicated that U.S. Mac sales were down in June compared to the previous June, despite the introduction of the new MacBook Airs, with the lack of a refreshed MacBook Pro lineup cited as a primary contributing cause.

Article Link: iMac Discounts and Stock Shortages at Third-Party Retailers Hint at Approaching Haswell Update

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I thought Apple was trying to keep inventories even lower this year, especially with Macs. Discounts could be to entice back to school buyers. But stock shortages seem to come and go without any new products updates. I don't think this indicates imminent new iMacs unfortunately. Times have changed.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I wonder if the highest end BTO GPU will be as amazing as the 680 was when they put it in this rev.

nastri83

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
Apple is eventually going to put Haswell processors in the iMac.

*nastri83 has become an official analyst*

Zerotolerance

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
New Hampshire
I don't think we'll see any new Macs until they're ready to ship with Mavericks. I've been waiting to buy a new iMac for some time. I'd consider a current generation model if the discount were steep enough, but for the measly $100 or so discount that non-Apple retailers are offering right now it's just not worth it.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
im guessing when imac haswell will be announce, it will be the macbook pro haswell as well, and vice versa

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Bought my 27" a few weeks ago and have been using the heck out of it. No regrets at all. It's one beastly mother. :p

jschoorl

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
Mac Mini?

I hope that besides the iMac and MBP also the MacMini's will be upgraded......

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Maybe it's time to finally replace the 2009 iMac. Would love the thin profile of the current iMac since I never use superdrive. Plus the screen looks incredible on the new iMac's.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
I wonder if they'd go so far as to have a high-end BTO option with a 4K display, simultaneously announcing a 4K ACD and the new release of the new MP?

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
can we get a decent displays? instead of 5% of more power?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.