Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2011
I've done a downgrade to iOS6 yesterday, because I'm selling me iPhone and iOS6 feels horrible compared to the new firmware. It feels like going back to a old Nokia model.

The first few days/weeks with are not easy to understans the new philosophe. But: You want never go back to an older version.

I miss: ComtrolCentet, Safaris Unified Searchbar and I'm missing very very much the swipe to back gesture. When you can't use the swipe anymore, you will see how often you have used the gesture since the introducing iOS7. And the most 3rd Party aren't updated yet and you can't use this gestures there. I think Swipe to back is one of the most powerful features in iOS7.

Also tab handling in Safari in iOS7 is much easier.

And the lack of ControlCenter. It''s a pain in iOS6 to enable/disable the flight mode.

efrie

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2013
I used iOS7 all the way through the latest beta, but seeing as how I run a business from my phone, there were just little things here and there that really became irritating from time to time.

It wasn't anything major, but I got my few months of enjoyment out of it, then decided I'd go back to iOS6 until the official release.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've done a downgrade to iOS6 yesterday, because I'm selling me iPhone and iOS6 feels horrible compared to the new firmware. It feels like going back to a old Nokia model.

The first few days/weeks with are not easy to understans the new philosophe. But: You want never go back to an older version.

I miss: ComtrolCentet, Safaris Unified Searchbar and I'm missing very very much the swipe to back gesture. When you can't use the swipe anymore, you will see how often you have used the gesture since the introducing iOS7. And the most 3rd Party aren't updated yet and you can't use this gestures there. I think Swipe to back is one of the most powerful features in iOS7.

And the lack of ControlCenter. It''s a pain in iOS6 to enable/disable the flight mode.
Yeah totally "horrible" and totally like using a phone from a decade ago.

Turning airplane mode on/off requires tapping once on the Settings icon and then tapping once in the very first on/off switch...that's exponentially more complicated than performing a swipe up action and pressing on an icon.

Hyperbole much? ;)

Stalyn

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
I used iOS7 all the way through the latest beta, but seeing as how I run a business from my phone, there were just little things here and there that really became irritating from time to time.

It wasn't anything major, but I got my few months of enjoyment out of it, then decided I'd go back to iOS6 until the official release.

How you run a business from your phone ? What type of business ?

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Yeah totally "horrible" and totally like using a phone from a decade ago.

Turning airplane mode on/off requires tapping once on the Settings icon and then tapping once in the very first on/off switch...that's exponentially more complicated than performing a swipe up action and pressing on an icon.

Hyperbole much? ;)

You seem to be forgetting that CC can be accessed from anywhere (in/out of apps) while in iOS 6 you have to leave whatever you are doing, swipe to the page where you have settings and then go through it.

And I do agree with the OP, iOS 6 feels really really old after using iOS 7 for a few weeks.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You seem to be forgetting that CC can be accessed from anywhere (in/out of apps) while in iOS 6 you have to leave whatever you are doing, swipe to the page where you have settings and then go through it.

And I do agree with the OP, iOS 6 feels really really old after using iOS 7 for a few weeks.
Some people have it in their dock while most would have it on the first page (which takes one or two presses of the home button), and a lot have Settings already in the recently used apps and can use the double press of the home button to quickly get there and hen back to where they were. Is Control Center somewhat simpler/faster than that in at least some or even most cases? Probably. Is it a huge significant difference where it's a complete crazy painful process in iOS 6 (as was pretty much implied originally)? Nope.

As for feeling old...perhaps from the point of view of simply being used to it and seeing the same kind if icons and UI for some years, but that aspect of it doesn't actually make it bad or really speaks for quality in any way.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY

You run your business from beta software. That wasn't a question.

Thierry ba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Sarajevo, Bosnia
You feel the power of iOS7 when going back to iOS6

You are funny. iOS6 is space shuttle compared to iOS7.

Last edited:

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
How you run a business from your phone ? What type of business ?

Thanks to Pages, Evernote, Mail, Safari, Chase app, and Google Drive along with implementing cloud based solutions for payroll, HR, time clock, etc. I run my 20+ employee call center/BPO with just my iPhone.

Of course, I use my MacBook Pro when it's available as its more convenient but sometimes I go long stretches with just the phone and handle all my duties just fine with it.

Totally possible if you design your business that way. :)

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I agree with OP. When I use iOS 6 now it feels like I'm back on an iPhone 2G.
It just looks OLD. For the few outspoken naysayers out there, iOS 7 is going to be a incredible success. You are in the minority.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Thanks to Pages, Evernote, Mail, Safari, Chase app, and Google Drive along with implementing cloud based solutions for payroll, HR, time clock, etc. I run my 20+ employee call center/BPO with just my iPhone.

Of course, I use my MacBook Pro when it's available as its more convenient but sometimes I go long stretches with just the phone and handle all my duties just fine with it.

Totally possible if you design your business that way. :)

I knew there had to be a MacBook in that equation somewhere ;)

Still, that's very cool being able to do it all right from your phone.

kevpan815

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2013
Algonquin, IL U.S.A.

Got news 4 you bud, Downgrading 2 IOS 6 does NOT remove the Enhancements to Find My IPhone! Therefore, you are going to have to wait 4 IOS 7 GM Seed to sell your IPhone!

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Got news 4 you bud, Downgrading 2 IOS 6 does NOT remove the Enhancements to Find My IPhone! Therefore, you are going to have to wait 4 IOS 7 GM Seed to sell your IPhone!

I downgraded and just sold one of my iPads to a co worker. Not even sure if they had any issues activating .

Unhyper

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Finland
I downgraded to 6 at one point because I love listening to audiobooks from Audible and the Audible app crashes. I didn't last even a day with iOS 6... It felt so slow, clunky, antiquated, and featureless.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Downgrading to iOS6 is totally fine and once you type in your Apple ID once for the activation lock, your in the clear for the rest of your time on iOS6. You can restore it infinite times and activation lock won't come back, until you install iOS7 again.

Erasing your iPhone or remotely wiping it from iCloud, forces you to enter your Apple ID to remove activation lock as well..

Attachments

• 543426_10151779440608908_2077116386_n.jpg
    543426_10151779440608908_2077116386_n.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I knew there had to be a MacBook in that equation somewhere ;)

Still, that's very cool being able to do it all right from your phone.

Yeah, I still use my MacBook because it makes things faster and more convenient. For example, paying invoices via PayPal mobile and multitasking between it and a spreadsheet is a hassle compared to having the site and Excel open side by side.

But yes it's also cool to go backpacking for two weeks or longer here and there with just my phone and still be able to do payroll, bill clients, respond to business correspondence, and check on the numbers coming in without lugging a computer. :D

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013

Looks like spellcheck doesn't work on your device. Painful to try and read.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I feel the power of faster animations, all of my apps working properly, and way fewer bugs going back to iOS 6. But I'm sure iOS 7 GM will be fine.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013

I'm very satisfied with iOS6. It does absolutely everything I need quite smoothly.

Apple needs iOS7 but I don't, so I will continue to enjoy my current setup which saves me the time of setting up an OS I don't need :)

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

Uh, what are you even talking about?

Activation Lock is an iOS 7+ feature. iOS 6 doesn't have Activation lock. It's not a Find my iPhone feature, it's a software feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.