Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I'm thinking about get cable TV soon. I was wondering if anyone here can recommend a good cable TV service provider. We've already tried to sign up with Att U-Verse but no luck with that installation( we tried four different times) :confused: One of my co-workers have recommended Comcast but, I'm see a lot of bad reviews for this company. The problem is the OTA channels are so sensitive to any movement in the house.

Thank you,

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm thinking about get cable TV soon. I was wondering if anyone here can recommend a good cable TV service provider. We've already tried to sign up with Att U-Verse but no luck with that installation( we tried four different times) :confused: One of my co-workers have recommended Comcast but, I'm see a lot of bad reviews for this company. The problem is the OTA channels are so sensitive to any movement in the house.

Thank you,

Before everybody jumps in and tells you that no one uses cable any more :)p;)), if you can get Verizon FIOS in your area, I would recommend it. Fiber optic cable to your home, great picture, pretty reliable.

I know FIOS isn't everywhere, but if you can get it...it's good cable service.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Thanks. But I just looked it up. It's not available in my area.

I have comcast/xfinity and have had it for all 8 years I've been here (internet and cable). I have never had an issue with their service and I've never experienced the issues with the OTA channels that you've read about. Also, if you're a Rockets or Astros fan, Comcast is the only provider right now that has CSN. Maybe something with change before the NBA season, but right now it's Comcast or Bust.

My only complaint really is that I have to watch my bills. They have so many promotions from one month to the next that my bill has gone up $40 or $50 a shot. I just call and get it reduced but it's a huge PITA.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I have comcast/xfinity and have had it for all 8 years I've been here (internet and cable). I have never had an issue with their service and I've never experienced the issues with the OTA channels that you've read about. Also, if you're a Rockets or Astros fan, Comcast is the only provider right now that has CSN. Maybe something with change before the NBA season, but right now it's Comcast or Bust.

My only complaint really is that I have to watch my bills. They have so many promotions from one month to the next that my bill has gone up $40 or $50 a shot. I just call and get it reduced but it's a huge PITA.
Comcast is in the process of encoding their channels. Over the air is becoming a thing of the past.

The OP really doesn't have a choice if Comcast is the only game in town that is what you are stuck with.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Comcast is in the process of encoding their channels. Over the air is becoming a thing of the past.

The OP really doesn't have a choice if Comcast is the only game in town that is what you are stuck with.

It depends on the area he's in. Where I am, I have a choice of u-verse, comcast, and a few smaller companies (like Suddenlink). Also, there's Dish and DirecTV of course. I have friends who have U-Verse and they lose service intermittently for no reason (not weather or power related), which I've never experienced with Comcast, which is why I still have it all of these years later.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It depends on the area he's in. Where I am, I have a choice of u-verse, comcast, and a few smaller companies (like Suddenlink). Also, there's Dish and DirecTV of course. I have friends who have U-Verse and they lose service intermittently for no reason (not weather or power related), which I've never experienced with Comcast, which is why I still have it all of these years later.
I have neighbors who have U-Verse and love it. Comcast is becoming evil with their practices in forcing you to buy a digital box for everything. Satellite has it's own issues. Sometimes I think a big c band dish is the way to go. There really is no good choice, someone has you by the balls who ever you chose.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009

If you get their cable services, are you required to get their internet services also?

thank you,

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm in Houston with Suddenlink, and I've have two issues:

Cost of service: my monthly bill runs $230 a month- Cable, 2 Prem Channels, internet, phone service, and monitored security.

Ongoing problems with internet falling off line a couple times a day for 5-10 minutes usually. Honestly I'm not sure what the deal is there and I can't say everyone experiences this, so I am not using this as a reason to avoid them. I'm considering making them supply me with a new cable modem.

Their TIVO box works well and actually produces a better picture than the old box they supply for DVR. I have yet to find someone who is really happy with any dish service. My impression is that the draw is highly discounted service for the first year, but then it pops up pretty close to cable price. Some friends had cable, switched to Dish Network, then back to cable due to issues. Most complaints I've heard have to due with poor reception during weather events.

I thought many years ago, that a law was passed to allow different cable companies to compete in the same neighborhood? Whatever happened with that?

However, I realize that one company will supply neighborhood network to the houses, similar to how the electric service works here. You can sign up with anyone you want, but Centerpoint owns the lines to the houses. When you sign on with another provider, they are throwing electricity into the grid and technically it is being purchased from whomever you have service with. Not sure how that would related to Cable service. In fact having multiple services on one line going to a house seems like that might cause issues. Don't know, just thinking out loud.

Last edited:

determined09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I'm in Houston with Suddenlink, and I've have two issues:

Cost of service: my monthly bill runs $230 a month- Cable, 2 Prem Channels, internet, phone service, and monitored security.

Ongoing problems with internet falling off line a couple times a day for 5-10 minutes usually. Honestly I'm not sure what the deal is there and I can't say everyone experiences this, so I am not using this as a reason to avoid them. I'm considering making them supply me with a new cable modem.

Their TIVO box works well and actually produces a better picture than the old box they supply for DVR. I have yet to find someone who is really happy with any dish service. My impression is that the draw is highly discounted service for the first year, but then it pops up pretty close to cable price. Some friends had cable, switched to Dish Network, then back to cable due to issues. Most complaints I've heard have to due with poor reception during weather events.

I thought many years ago, that a law was passed to allow different cable companies to compete in the same neighborhood? Whatever happened with that?

However, I realize that one company will supply neighborhood network to the houses, similar to how the electric service works here. You can sign up with anyone you want, but Centerpoint owns the lines to the houses. When you sign on with another provider, they are throwing electricity into the grid and technically it is being purchased from whomever you have service with. Not sure how that would related to Cable service. In fact having multiple services on one line going to a house seems like that might cause issues. Don't know, just thinking out loud.

thank you

----------

No. Bundles are cheaper upfront but not needed.

thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.