Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kieranet

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Hello.

Over the years I have acquired a huge CD collection which in turn have been ripped to my various computers. Due to hard drive capacity limitations and the sheer volume of music I own, I've often ripped them at 128kbps.

Last year I subscribed to iTunes Match to enable easier management of songs as well as to upgrade all my songs to a blanket 256kbps. So far, so good. However, a lot of my physical music collection is shared with my brother. He's heading off to university next week and wants to take all of our music with him on his external hard drive. Again, so far, no issues.

The problem I'm concerned about is that my brother is a bit of a douche and he's likely to share our music files with other people. Not a huge issue normally, but all of the songs we own and have since re-downloaded are associated with my Apple ID. If he was to share any music with other people and this in turn found its way onto the Internet and became shared with lots of people, I don't like the idea that songs associated with my account will be distributed so widely.

Whilst none of the tracks have DRM issues, I would like to be able to remove my Apple ID from the files so that - in the event of my brother being careless - I'm not associated with any piracy or frowned-upon sharing issues.

So, in short, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can remove my ID from the tracks once I've copied them to my brother's hard drive? I'm happy for it to remain on the original copies on my computer, just need it removed from the copies.

Thank you for any help.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
You could transcode the music files to a file format that lacks tags. Like WAV. Then if you like, transcode back to AAC or MP3. This will remove ALL tags from the files.

Or, why hand over the files at all. You say they were matched and are now on Apple's Cloud. He can play them from the cloud and not need the files.

Or, use a tag editor and fix the tags any why you like. google for "mac tag editor aac mp3" and you will find many of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.