Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

volcomsnow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Does anybody know a way to access and play videos on an external drive or iMac hard drive wirelessly? I'm running a tutoring business and I need students to be able to watch tutorial videos on an iPad but:

1) I don't want to put them on the actual iPad because that limits how many videos I can put on, and,

2) I don't want to put them on the web because I don't want the videos to be distributed on the web

Thank you to anybody who can help me find an app or method for doing this.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Does anybody know a way to access and play videos on an external drive or iMac hard drive wirelessly? I'm running a tutoring business and I need students to be able to watch tutorial videos on an iPad but:

1) I don't want to put them on the actual iPad because that limits how many videos I can put on, and,

2) I don't want to put them on the web because I don't want the videos to be distributed on the web

Thank you to anybody who can help me find an app or method for doing this.

can you explain a wee bit more what you mean. do you mean that you have an ipad and your students use it, or they all have their own ipads, and will they be streaming from the same room/wifi or over the internet?

theres a few solutions depending on what exactly you want, one that would work for any of them,but cost about €3 per ipad is PLEX.

PLEX is fantastic, and free on mac /pc but the ipad app costs i think €3. basically you can put all of your movies on a mac, run plex media server, and then the ipad app, or any other mac/pc can stream the movies, either over wifi or (using myplex) over the internet.

in a totally different direction, if you mean you want to carry your ipad to show students videos, you can buy cheaply now, portable hard drives with a wifi connection, amazon has lots of them, but it'd be cheaper using plex.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.