Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StPatty33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Colorado
Was getting update unavailable messages when trying to update wirelessly from phone. Connected to iTunes, updated iTunes, downloaded update through iTunes, and in the middle of the update, it turned my phone off. Phone was off for a good 5 mins while iTunes said "waiting for iphone", then it gave me an unknown error. When I hold in the power button, the phone turns on in recovery mode, and when I connect to iTunes and attempt to recover, it turns the phone off again (rather than restarting, the phone is just turning off), then after 5 mins of "waiting for iphone" it errors out (error 4005). I've tried trying to turn the phone back on while it's "waiting for iphone" and that hasn't worked either.

Awesome.

PilotTiny

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2013
United Kingdom
I would say it is most likely due to Apples servers overloading due to everybody trying to download iOS 7 at once, your phone is most likely not bricked, just keep trying :)

StPatty33

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Colorado
After trying DFU recovery over and over, it's finally showing an apple and a progress bar instead of the connect to iTunes logo and erroring out.

iOS 7 startup now. Looks like the update to 7 worked, but it won't let me restore. Says "Cannot restore backup. The server is currently unavailable. Try again later to finish setting up your iPhone."

So I have a phone with iOS 7, just not MY phone. Better than no phone like before, but still uber lame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.