Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayinla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
I'm trying to change the amount of time the 5s needs before it asks me to put in a passcode. In the past I would set it for 5 minutes. I'm only seeing an option for immediately. This is kind of a PITA. Am I missing something?

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I see this too. I didn't look before I set the fingerprints so I didn't know if it was the same before reading a fingerprint.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Do you have an Exchange mail account configured? I have heard sometimes they can limit some of the settings, such as the passcode timeout.

jayinla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Do you have an Exchange mail account configured? I have heard sometimes they can limit some of the settings, such as the passcode timeout.

I'm just using an icloud email account. I tried disabling it but the option for immediately did not change.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I'm just using an icloud email account. I tried disabling it but the option for immediately did not change.

Interestinng. The other poster mentioned they were having the same issue, so maybe something has changed. Wish I could test it out here :)

jayinla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
I've discovered that if you turn fingerprint lock off then the option comes back to set the amount of time. Once you turn fingerprint on, immediately becomes the only option again. Not sure I like that. Anyone know why the options would change?

mdehoogh

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
I don't like it. I know the fingerprint sensor works pretty well but it does take slightly longer to unlock every time. I'd like to change it back to 5min

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'm trying to change the amount of time the 5s needs before it asks me to put in a passcode. In the past I would set it for 5 minutes. I'm only seeing an option for immediately. This is kind of a PITA. Am I missing something?

Do you not have fingers? The point of the 5S is so you can access your phone immediately but no one else can.

----------

I doubt it takes longer than pressing the button and swiping to unlock.

No, it doesn't. I found the quickest way to unlock with Touch ID is to press the home button to wake it up and just leave your finger on the button after you release. It will unlock as soon as the screen turns on.

jayinla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Do you not have fingers? The point of the 5S is so you can access your phone immediately but no one else can.

----------

I should be able to access my phone any way I want to. If I'm engaged in an iMessaage conversation and would like to not have the screen lock needed to be fingerprinted in the middle, that should be my choice. Just as it's my choice to set how long it would take for passcode lock to be needed. I look at the fingerprint sensor as an alternative to the passcode lock with the same rules.

solace

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
i think this is an oversight honestly...

because it still says "Shorter times are more secure" in that dialog, but the only choice when Touch ID is enabled is "Immediately".

i too hope they change this. while Touch ID is fast, it's not as fast as swiping to unlock with no passcode.

I almost alway set mine to lock after 15 min of inactivity. my phone is never away from my side longer than that.

skywavesli

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2008
i think this is an oversight honestly...

because it still says "Shorter times are more secure" in that dialog, but the only choice when Touch ID is enabled is "Immediately".

i too hope they change this. while Touch ID is fast, it's not as fast as swiping to unlock with no passcode.

I almost alway set mine to lock after 15 min of inactivity. my phone is never away from my side longer than that.

Same here. Seems like an oversight especially with them leaving the text there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.