Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eeperman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
I have many fond memories of playing Homeworld on my PC and I was wondering if there are any similar games (i.e space fleet action with little base building) available to run natively on my Macbook Air 2013. I gather that Homeworld 2 will not work on Intel Macs and, in any case, I do not have a disk drive to load the game. I have played with Gratuitous Space Battles, but found it a little too in depth.

Any Mac-native suggestions welcomed as I do not have the space for a Bootcamp partition.

Many thanks.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
It's not Mac native, but Sins of a Solar Empire is probably your best bet. You can run it in WINE or Crossover. There's also Endless Space, but it's a 4X strategy game, not an RTS, and the combat is very limited in scope.

Good news is that the Homeworld devs have been picked up by Gearbox to make a new Homeworld, and all Gearbox titles have made it to the Mac. Gearbox is also making HD Re-releases of the originals, so they might get new Mac ports.

eeperman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Thanks Cougarcat,

I played SoaSE on my PC many years ago and I very much enjoyed it. I own a digital copy - is it possible to download that and run it through Crossover?

eeperman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Hi Cougarcat,

Thanks for the tip. I bought Crossover for $15 as part of the excellent StackSocial bundle, downloaded the Sins installer and it runs perfectly. I had forgotten what a well designed game it it!

Still, I am looking forward to the HD release of Homeworld next year, lets keep our fingers crossed for a Mac version.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
I love Homeworld.

I am so stoked for Homeworld 3, and the Homeworld 1 and 2 remakes. Homeworld 2 is one of the best strategy games ever made.

That game, has such a brilliant art design and music. it really becomes its own.

eeperman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Hi all

Having messed about with Crossover a bit more, I have now managed to install Homeworld 1 and 2. There are a few glitches, but both run pretty well and it is great getting to grips with them again. Crossover may be the best fifteen bucks that I ever spent!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.