Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
NY
Anyone else ticked off about the design decision to not have the touch ID ring on the space gray iPhone 5S be space gray, and instead its black?

I like how the ring on the white and gold models match the back color, it give it more contrast and stands out more. A space gray ring around the touch ID sensor would look just as neat on the space gray iPhone, so not sure why they decided to put a black ring on there and its not as distinguishable as the other two models...

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I saw people here saying they wanted it to match and the other half said they wanted it black...

If I had a space gray one I would have like it to match w/ space gray ring.

I think a poll is appropriate here.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
Anyone else ticked off about the design decision to not have the touch ID ring on the space gray iPhone 5S be space gray, and instead its black?

I like how the ring on the white and gold models match the back color, it give it more contrast and stands out more. A space gray ring around the touch ID sensor would look just as neat on the space gray iPhone, so not sure why they decided to put a black ring on there and its not as distinguishable as the other two models...

Still think it was a last minute change... Look at the box... It is clearly space gray.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I think it looks fine. It's minimalistic.

Since I'm the only one looking at it, I'd also be fine with it if it was gray.

Just a non issue for me. I wanted it for the functionality.

I'm not saying this applies to you, OP, but every time I read someone complaining about the ring on the Space Gray, I feel like it's some weird "I want everyone to know I have a 5s" thing.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Probably had trouble getting the right colour

Or

Whoever is making the rings messed up and it was too late to change them since the they were already running low on stock

hasenpfeffer

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
I believe the ring is steel and not aluminum. This may have caused a problem with coloring it space gray.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
oh man i never noticed this color. how dare apple not match the ring.

im returning my 5S tomorrow and buying a nokia lumina.

AceMason

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
I wish it did match so it's more prominent like the other colors. You can't even tell it's a 5S from afar.

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I think Apple made the correct decision to go with black for the TouchID ring.

If they use the Space Gray colored ring, wouldn't it be a big distraction when viewing videos of the phone? Similarly, when the Space Gray iPhone's screen is turned off, wouldn't a Space Gray colored ring look out of place whereas the rest of the whole phone is showing the same black color? In both cases, you'll probably not get that "seamless" look that you'll get when the ring is black in color if a Space Gray colored ring is used.

AceMason

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
I think Apple made the correct decision to go with black for the TouchID ring.

If they use the Space Gray colored ring, wouldn't it be a big distraction when viewing videos of the phone? Similarly, when the Space Gray iPhone's screen is turned off, wouldn't a Space Gray colored ring look out of place whereas the rest of the whole phone is showing the same black color? In both cases, you'll probably not get that "seamless" look that you'll get when the ring is black in color if a Space Gray colored ring is used.

But isn't that what's it's like for the phones with the white faces? You don't get the "seamless" look on those either since they chose gold and silver.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Actually I love the fact you can't see the ring. It makes everything blend beautifully together. Not a fan of the white model for that reason and the fact I've had nothing but black iPhones and I've had them all. Just love the black. So sleek and classy...just like a grand piano ;-) . As far as not being able to tell its a 5s...I don't care. I bought it for me not others.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
But isn't that what's it's like for the phones with the white faces? You don't get the "seamless" look on those either since they chose gold and silver.

Difference is, the white faced iPhones were NEVER seamless with the big black screen up front. So a silver, or gold button to accentuate the home button and stand out does indeed look nice.

However, on the Space Grey iPhone models, everything up front is black. It's seamless, and if the home button ring were space grey, it wouldn't look as clean. When the screen isn't on, everything almost literally disappears up front, and thats one of the beauties of the iPhone.

AceMason

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Difference is, the white faced iPhones were NEVER seamless with the big black screen up front. So a silver, or gold button to accentuate the home button and stand out does indeed look nice.

However, on the Space Grey iPhone models, everything up front is black. It's seamless, and if the home button ring were space grey, it wouldn't look as clean. When the screen isn't on, everything almost literally disappears up front, and thats one of the beauties of the iPhone.

Yeah, you're right. I've always bought the black iPhone even this time around but I think I'll go and exchange for a white one to try it out if I can find any in stock.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009

It looks ugly man. They should have kept the bezel around the home button space gray like all the promos showed.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
are you sure is black and not grey? the surface of home button is not the same black color like the rest of front of the device

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
sorry to say but you are holding a space grey in your hands now? if you standing and looking from top to the front there are some differences..the line that surrounding is more light now and the home button as well

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013

I have not been able to sleep!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.