Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdd153@psu.edu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2005
what is the best method to restore a powerbook? and if have to use any third party programs, i prefer free ones :D

edit:

sorry i have a powerbook g4 and i want to completely restore my computer. this is my final way to fix my harddrive problems. i want to get back all the space i used to have (60 gigs). i have tiger installed on my computer too. im sorry, im completely new to this site.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
You might want to give a few more details as to what exactly you want, if you're looking for a detailed response that will actually help you:

- What kind of Powerbook.
- What exactly you want to restore (OS Version/Software).

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
What do you mean by "restore"? You can use the recovery disks that came with your PB to restore it to its factory state. You will lose all data. You can use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner to make a full bootable backup. If you have a crash, you can restore you computer to that state. You'll really have to write a more detailed question if you want a better answer.

Edit: Use the restore disks that came with your computer. If you purchased a copy of Tiger, you can use that.

rdd153@psu.edu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2005
i am willing to lose all my data but you see i dont have my tiger disks, im at school. i didnt have a crash i just want to start over from the start. my main problem is that i have been using too much space and quite frankly i dont know where all that space when, even after deleting many programs.

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
rdd153@psu.edu said:
i am willing to lose all my data but you see i dont have my tiger disks, im at school. i didnt have a crash i just want to start over from the start. my main problem is that i have been using too much space and quite frankly i dont know where all that space when, even after deleting many programs.

Probably from all the music you downloaded as per your other post. You can convert all your tunes to mp3 and save some space that way. Then keep the mp3 files and delete the aiff/Apple Lossless,et al. from your iTunes library. That will save a ton of HD space.
Deleting programs may not have been a good idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.