Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PittsDriver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
It doesn't make me sick, I just don't find it to be an interesting feature of iOS 7. Maybe I don't have the right wallpapers set to make good use of it? I am curious who actually keeps it enabled and why.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
At first I had it enabled, then turned it off to see about battery issues. Now it's back on and no battery issues that I see.

Otherwise, all I notice is the background moves a little. I don't know what else it really does.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I don't like wallpaper with patterns so I turned it off (currently using one of the stock gradients). My lock screen is currently a photo I took of a rose so I don't think it would look interesting with parallax enabled. However, it is an interesting feature and I can see lots of people using and enjoying it.

PittsDriver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I guess I don't know what else it really does either. To me the background moving a bit is just more of an annoyance than anything. I guess I don't get it.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
It doesn't make me sick, I just don't find it to be an interesting feature of iOS 7. Maybe I don't have the right wallpapers set to make good use of it? I am curious who actually keeps it enabled and why.

I don't see it being a "feature" but rather a gimmick. I have it turned on with all of my iOS 7 gadgets, but I wouldn't miss it if I were to turn it off.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
iOS 6..1, jailbroken with the DeepEnd tweak. So, yeah, using Parallax before iOS 7 was released to the public. :D

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Is parallax supposed to work on the 4S? Because it seems to have been switched off by the 7.0.2 update.

Blau

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Redlands, CA
I have it on, battery life easily lasts through a day of work. It's not really noticeable though unless you are really looking for it.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
You guys are all using the wrong background. Try a panorama photo and then you'll really see it ;)

adam1314

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2013
St. Louis
Can someone tell me where parallax is on the settings menu? Thanks.

Go to Settings, General, Accessibility, turn on reduced motion. It doesn't refer to paralax specifically but turning on reduced motion turns off the paralax effect.

Personally though I prefer it. It doesn't seem to effect my battery life so why not.

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
Who actually stares at their homescreen long enough to feel sick?

Anyway, I have it off

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
It's lovely when I notice it, but I rarely do. I don't see how it could make anyone sick, it's not that obvious unless you're trying to see it.

photodesign

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2013
Florida
You guys are all using the wrong background. Try a panorama photo and then you'll really see it ;)

I'm not sure what difference a different aspect ratio or resolution would make. Doesn't it still ask you to position and crop the photo before saving?

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Here's a link an article about people experiencing vertigo and motion sickness after updating to iOS 7. IMO, it's crazy. But to each his own.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3995898

I do have parallax enabled and I guess I enjoy it. It's very subtle, but also pretty cool.

----------

Ha! I was pretty disappointed that they pulled it from the GM. I don't know why... Cause those features get old quick. But i still wanted to try it. That being said, it'll be back in a future update. Apparently it caused performance problems when enabled.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Here's a link an article about people experiencing vertigo and motion sickness after updating to iOS 7. IMO, it's crazy. But to each his own.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3995898

I do have parallax enabled and I guess I enjoy it. It's very subtle, but also pretty cool.

----------

Ha! I was pretty disappointed that they pulled it from the GM. I don't know why... Cause those features get old quick. But i still wanted to try it. That being said, it'll be back in a future update. Apparently it caused performance problems when enabled.

Pulled? Still works on my 4s running 7.0.2

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I like it, something I've noticed though, the parallax effect is far more prominent (and effective) on the iPad. Looks really good with the default wallpaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.