Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
It's not a completely unreasonable question, but I had to laugh.

Your question rephrased: "Has anybody tested Microsoft's prerelease software with Apple's prerelease software?"

In my case, the answer is no. My Parallels VM and external standalone partition are both still at Windows 8. I won't try to upgrade those until after the official Windows 8.1 release.

Fimeg

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Fear not...

I've had 8.1 running since DP2. It's pro-noblem. It works just as well as any Microsoft product. Clarified though, Bootcamp works no problem... but EFI booting is still a mess on my rMBP.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012

Your question rephrased: "Has anybody tested Microsoft's prerelease software with Apple's prerelease software?"

In my case, the answer is no. My Parallels VM and external standalone partition are both still at Windows 8. I won't try to upgrade those until after the official Windows 8.1 release.

The RTM versions of both Mavericks and Windows 8.1 have been out for a while. And just because software is prerelease doesn't mean nobody's using it and VM developers aren't testing against it.

Anyway, I'll be testing 8.1 on Mavericks pretty soon. Not expecting any problems.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Windows 8.1 RTM works quite well bootcamped under Mavericks GM.

That being said, it works better if you use rEFInd and just install it on a partition of its own.

Zmijutin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia

I know it's a bit as you say unreasonable question. But both OS's are RTM or GM. So pretty much consumer versions. But there are just not enough people that installed 8.1 on mavericks GM so I asked :)

I've had 8.1 running since DP2. It's pro-noblem. It works just as well as any Microsoft product. Clarified though, Bootcamp works no problem... but EFI booting is still a mess on my rMBP.

What do you mean?

The RTM versions of both Mavericks and Windows 8.1 have been out for a while. And just because software is prerelease doesn't mean nobody's using it and VM developers aren't testing against it.

Anyway, I'll be testing 8.1 on Mavericks pretty soon. Not expecting any problems.

Nice, thanks!

Windows 8.1 RTM works quite well bootcamped under Mavericks GM.

That being said, it works better if you use rEFInd and just install it on a partition of its own.

I'm about to install that. I'm so 2013 :)) :cool:

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
I upgraded to Windows 8.1 today and it all works as it should. I have Bootcamp on a separate drive in my Mac Pro and also use that same installation with Vmware Fusion.

As usual, I had to activate Windows again after the update. I called the toll free Microsoft phone number and everything worked as normal.

Alveezy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Hawaii
I'm trying to create a Windows Install Disk via a USB but there's no feature for bootcamp anymore. I'm using a 2011 MacBook Pro, I've tried editing the .plist but then bootcamp stops working when i apply the edited .plist!

I'm also on OS X Mavericks GM. I do have the .iso file on my desktop but everytime it ask me to install a windows disc. please if someone can link me to a youtube tutorial that actually works for making an install disk for macs with optical drives.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Does Apple offer an update to support Precision Touchpad (There is no reason that is not compatible) and be able to use gestures on Windows 8.1 for comfort on Modern UI.
The touchpad drivers in Bootcamp really suck for Apple trackpads. Jerky scrolling, no gesture support, etc.

Are you saying that Win 8.1 provides these now?

Humex

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
The touchpad drivers in Bootcamp really suck for Apple trackpads. Jerky scrolling, no gesture support, etc.

Are you saying that Win 8.1 provides these now?

If Precision Touchpad is provided in the SDK, then just update the driver.
Moreover, I learned that some apps Modern UI will incorporate these gestures to interact better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.