Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following concerns expressed during the lead-up to this week's Apple media event that the company would be unable to launch the Retina iPad mini in any significant volume before the end of the year, supply chain analysts continue to expect very low supplies of the device when it launches next month.

Shortly after Apple announced the new Retina iPad mini, IHS iSuppli analyst Rhoda Alexander noted that supplies will indeed be "severely constrained", according to CNET.
"The supply for that product is severely constrained," said Rhoda Alexander, director of Tablet and Monitor Research at IHS iSuppli.

"We don't expect to see meaningful volume until first quarter [of 2014]."
ipad_mini_retina_november.jpg
Alexander expanded a bit more in comments shared by The Telegraph yesterday, calling the supplies "ridiculously tight" at one-third the levels seen for last year's launch of the original iPad mini.
Rhoda Alexander, director of tablet research at IHS electronis and media, said: "The supply of the Retina Mini is going to be ridiculously tight in the fourth quarter.

"Apple's 2013 iPad shipment growth is shaping up to be comparatively modest and the shift in launch cycles has played a major role in the slowdown."
Production of the Retina display panels for the new iPad mini is said to be the bottleneck for Apple, with Apple's suppliers needing to optimize processes for building displays with the same number of pixels as the full-size iPad but at the higher pixel density of the iPhone and iPod touch.

Alexander is certainly not the only analyst to be predicting tight supplies of the new iPad mini, with KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo making similar claims. Kuo's modeling has Apple shipping only a little over 2.2 million Retina iPad mini units during the fourth quarter due to those low supplies and a mid-quarter launch, compared to nearly 6.6 million units of the non-Retina iPad mini.

Apple's own announcements have also suggested low availability of the Retina iPad mini, with the company introducing the device at Tuesday's event but declining to announce an exact launch date in specifying only "November". And with the iPad Air launching on November 1, it seems clear that Apple is struggling to produce the new Retina iPad mini in quantities sufficient enough to allow it to launch as the holiday shopping season kicks off at the end of November.

Article Link: Retina iPad Mini Launch Supplies Set to Be 'Ridiculously Tight' Until Early 2014

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
Rough

Looks like some people might be getting gift cards under the tree this year!

Again, I'm hoping this is incorrect. If not, it would be a pretty rough oversight by Apple...Doesn't take a brilliant man to understand that products need to be on the shelf for holiday shopping season.

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Oh I just love these MacRumors notifications in Mavericks! Hope more news sites implement them. :apple:

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
Well, according to about 10 different CNET articles on Tuesday, nobody is going to buy them anyway, or any other iPad again for that matter, so it's probably not too big of a deal.

RobbieBott

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010
Unlocked

Does anybody know if the Retina Minis will be carrier unlocked. If I buy from T-Mobile can I use it on AT&T as well?

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
i remember the stocks last year

my apple store is a flagship but had very little stock of iPad Mini, our customers couldn't wait so they went for the more expensive iPad

also our market leader was forcing us to call our business clients to make pre-orders

they paid in advance and had to wait for weeks to get their products...

:rolleyes:

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
The supply Vs demand game is always interesting. Porsche used to be very good at it too, limiting stock helped keep the residuals high, whilst demand for the product remained high. Thing is, over time, people get bored of waiting and will start seeking alternatives. It also allows time for competitors to up their game.

iphone01ninja

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
It sounds some kind of maketing tactics. If you just do not prepare for large volume production, why wouldn't you put the conferrence a while back, this seems much reasonable.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Demand will be super high. Supplies will be tight. Analysts will claim production issues. Opening weekend sales will be record breaking and many many millions.

Did I miss anything.

sharbeen

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2013
United Arab Emirates
Since I do a lot photography and love photographs I personally prefer the iPad. Now Have to wait I guess 2 months for the device to reach UAE. Just today UAE began preorder from one of the telecoms. I was one of the few lucky ones to get hold of the Gold. As of now Gold is out of stock though black and silver is still available. Well just FYI. :D

ryuok

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Hong Kong
I bet the mini costs more to produce than the air, yet sell for $100 less. The pricing doesn't seem to make any sense.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
A Large reason for this is also because of China being included in the initial launch. This is causing annoyances with not allowing preorders of the 5s and iPad Air for launch day.

Bach2011

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2011
It sounds some kind of maketing tactics. If you just do not prepare for large volume production, why wouldn't you put the conferrence a while back, this seems much reasonable.

I hate this too. Some people would try to make profit from that. It doesn't seem they ready to sell but just to let people delay from buying other brands. :rolleyes:

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
"The supply of the Retina Mini is going to be ridiculously tight in the fourth quarter."

So he is basically saying Apple will still sell/ship more Units than the Surface and Surface Pro sold all last year combined, but there will still be a waiting period for most people?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.