Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today sent out emails to iOS developers, promoting Xcode's continuous integration feature and offering free copies of OS X Server, which is normally priced at $19.99. OS X Server, which was just updated to version 3.0, is provided for free for Mac developers.

xcoderobot.jpg
First introduced in September, Xcode's continuous integration feature is designed to allow developers to create bots that run on a separate server, continually building apps, executing test suites, and searching for potential bugs, ensuring that apps are always in a releasable state after code changes.
As an iOS developer, you can now take advantage of continuous integration in Xcode by creating bots with OS X server for Mavericks that automate the process of building, analyzing, testing, and archiving your apps.

As the bots do their work on the remote Mac, Xcode on your development machine displays the build and test reports. Bots can generate a regular release for your QA team, be configured to execute on every check-in, and even test your apps on connected iOS devices.
Xcode can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for free. [Direct Link]

OS X Server can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $19.99. [Direct Link]

(Thanks, Anonymous!)

Article Link: Apple Giving iOS Devs Free Copies of OS X Server to Promote Xcode's Continuous Integration

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
You know Apple is a hardware company when they give out software for free....hopefully some of their future software is more of a success because iWork still is leaps and bounds behind Microsoft Office.

Xarthan

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Sweet! I actually deleted that email, like all email Apple sends out. :p

Thanks to this article I went back and read the details!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
AAAwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeeeeeeeeahhhhhhhhh! Except I'm keeping my server at Snow Leopard... Maybe I'll find a use for this sometime.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
What's gone wrong with Apple? :confused:

Using CI can quicken your workflow and improve the quality of your apps. So it's in Apple's favor to make sure all the devs are using it.

Having said that, I really don't need this... all my iOS and OS X projects are too small (and only worked on by me) so I can't really benefit from CI. Plus I have no server to run it on.

ahan.tm

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Florida
It's free for all paid developers(iOS and Mac). I downloaded Server yesterday. Check your respective Resources page.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Can someone give an example with more detail about how CI and bots work besides "build, test and analyze" apps.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
For some reason I don't see it in my account! Anyone has the direct link where I can redeem the code!?

EDIT: NVM got it! was under ios 7 download page right on the bottom.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Using CI can quicken your workflow and improve the quality of your apps. So it's in Apple's favor to make sure all the devs are using it.

Having said that, I really don't need this... all my iOS and OS X projects are too small (and only worked on by me) so I can't really benefit from CI. Plus I have no server to run it on.

Apple wants you to buy another Mac to function as a server. That's why they're giving their software away to the Mac owners, to keep them happy and give them an incentive to buy more.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Can someone give an example with more detail about how CI and bots work besides "build, test and analyze" apps.

The bots continuously scan for changes in the source code repository. Whenever you or another developer working on your project commits a change, the bots notice and kick off a build. The code is compiled and any automated tests are run and any problems are reported to the developers.

kartikthapar

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2013
Baltimore

That's true. It was more in a happy tone rather than one in a confused tone. :)

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Question: I know in the past (Tiger, leopard) OS X server was a bit of a pain in the ass to run as a day to day OS - is this still the case? This automation sounds pretty cool but I don't have the need/setup to run a dedicated server machine. Would it be worth running on a machine I use daily to gain these features or will I shoot myself in the foot by doing so?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Question: I know in the past (Tiger, leopard) OS X server was a bit of a pain in the ass to run as a day to day OS - is this still the case? This automation sounds pretty cool but I don't have the need/setup to run a dedicated server machine. Would it be worth running on a machine I use daily to gain these features or will I shoot myself in the foot by doing so?

Set it up on an external drive and test it out then? You can run multiple copies of Mavericks on the same machine and still be within licensing terms. Go to the Mac App Store on any computer with Mavericks installed and you can download (again, I know) the 5.29GB Mavericks installer.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005

It's nothing like pre Lion server. Think of it more like server tools addon application. Essentially, its the same Mavericks as you would install on any mac, but with some extra tools added in. In fact all the tools are in a single app, rather than Server Admin, Workgroup Manager etc as it was before lion.

Just give it a go, if it doesn't work out for you, remove it. Easy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.