Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

fleksy_logo-250x92.jpg
Fleksy today announced that its predictive touch keyboard is now available for iOS developers to incorporate into their apps through an SDK, allowing developers to replace the default iOS keyboard with Fleksy's popular alternative keyboard.

Fleksy's keyboard includes a number of features including sophisticated prediction and autocorrection, as well as swipe-based functions such as space and delete. The Verge has more on the launch:
Bringing Fleksy to other iOS apps is not without its challenges. Unlike Android, which is open to all sorts of third-party keyboard creations, Apple gives you its keyboard and nothing else. Developers can build their own special keyboards on an app-by-app basis, though it's uncommon. Google's done that with a handful of its iOS apps, while Wolfram Alpha's special search app keyboard takes up nearly the entire screen with custom buttons. Although it was rumored Apple was considering opening up to third-party keyboard makers, ultimately it didn't. But it did throw developers a bone by simplifying its software tools, says Fleksy founder Ioannis Verdelis.

"With every new version of iOS the work required on our part to build a keyboard SDK has reduced significantly," he says. "We're [now] doing stuff on iOS that integrates the keyboard deeper than it's ever been integrated."
Fleksy's iOS SDK initiative launches today with four apps:

- BlindSquare: Combines location and FourSquare information to assist visually impaired users in their daily lives [Direct Link]

- GV Connect: Phone and SMS client for Google Voice users [Direct Link]

- Launch Center Pro: Application launcher with shortcuts for frequently accessed tasks [Direct Link]

- Wordbox: Clean and simple text editor [Direct Link]

Fleksy plans to continue work with select app developers to bring its keyboard to their apps, eventually moving to open up the program to all interested developers.

Article Link: Fleksy's Predictive Touch Keyboard Comes to iOS Apps with New Developer Tools

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Interesting. I remember I started building a library that I was planning on selling as a middleman to other developers for building great looking keyboards with extreme ease... then, like most of my projects, I got half finished and never reached a point that it was releasable before moving onto my next great idea. I need to find someone who likes finishing things that are already started... I've heard such people exist...

I wonder if these guys are releasing it for free, and if so, why? This keyboard has been their claim to fame... if anyone is allowed to use it for free, then it seems they're just handing away everything they've made to their competitors.

mikemch16

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
Worst Ad Ever!

That ad was so bad. I am not any closer to knowing what it was and have no desire for it.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Good. I use WriteRoom on iPad which has cursor left and right keys. It makes a vast difference to productivity.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Some of the long-wanted features that iOS has yet to add: 3rd party keyboards, improved file management, and the ability to set defaults for system apps such as email, calendar, browser, etc. If iOS 8 can get that done, while improving some of the UI issues and occasional lag in iOS 7, then it will be a win. More widget options for notification center (especially better weather), live home screen icons, and control center customization would be icing on the cake.

Glad to see this and hopefully it will add some pressure on Apple to implement official support across iOS.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Some of the long-wanted features that iOS has yet to add: 3rd party keyboards, improved file management, and the ability to set defaults for system apps such as email, calendar, browser, etc. If iOS 8 can get that done, while improving some of the UI issues and occasional lag in iOS 7, then it will be a win. More widget options for notification center (especially better weather), live home screen icons, and control center customization would be icing on the cake.

Glad to see this and hopefully it will add some pressure on Apple to implement official support across iOS.

So basically you just want iOS to become Android.

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2013
Good. I use WriteRoom on iPad which has cursor left and right keys. It makes a vast difference to productivity.

If you like using the cursor buttons to move the cursor, you would absolutely love SwipeSelection and/or SwipeShiftCaret for jailbroken devices.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
I like this!!

This is one area Android has iOS beat hands down. You can go download a myriad of different keyboards and try them out anytime you want. iOS you're stuck with Apple's keyboard no matter what.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I don't get it… so it's just better at figuring out what you intend when you mis-type?

That said, I do think it would be useful for Apple to open up the keyboard to 3rd party mods.. however, that does go against the grain of consistency which I think is one of the "out of the box" strengths of iOS. Anyway… not sure I understand the point of this application.

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
I like this!!

This is one area Android has iOS beat hands down. You can go download a myriad of different keyboards and try them out anytime you want. iOS you're stuck with Apple's keyboard no matter what.

I've yet to like an android keyboard though. I'd rather be stuck with something good than have sub-par options

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
What an awful product video. About 10 seconds of it are relevant to what it does, which is an auto correct keyboard, which iPhone already has. Maybe the claim is that you don't have to look at it?

Tknull

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2011
San Diego
I can see a lot of benefit of this type of work. One example:

You are typing a word, and you attempt to hit the "i" key, but it accidentally registers as the "o." So you hit the delete button, and attempt another time to hit the "i" key. Yet you keep accidentally hitting the "o" key instead. You would think it would recognize that you already had an "o", and chose to delete, so clearly you don't intend it. It should be easy to code... if you hit shift and do a capital letter, and its wrong, and you hit delete... it reengages the shift key to allow whatever letter you hit next to still be a capital... so it can recognize that you returned to a prior spot/state.

But for me, a much more useful feature would be an auto correct capability that can combine two different languages, such as english and spanish. Auto correct is absolutely useless for me, as I type half my messages in english and half in spanish. With it on, every time I type a spanish message, it auto changes to some english word. I've had to retype a word that i correctly typed seven or eight times because it kept changing it.... until I just give up and turn the feature off.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
I've yet to like an android keyboard though. I'd rather be stuck with something good than have sub-par options

huh? both swype and swiftkey are much better than the apple keyboard. sounds like you haven't really spent the time to even really use it.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
You asked for it

Be prepared for the inevitable "You should just buy an Android." I completely disagree with that sentiment btw. What you are asking for is more control in an environment (iOS) that you like. The bolded portion of your comment is a part of my wish list as well. None of the requests are unreasonable and they don't degrade the user experience. I think the ability for me to customize iOS to my personal likes would enhance the user experience; the user being me (not everyone using iOS). The widgets and such don't interest me as much, but to each his own. The ability to tailor your device to your needs is a very attractive idea to me.

genen

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Go buy an Android device and leave the Apple gear to those of us who like it.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Is there a free app that uses the keyboard so I can test it out?

All of the apps listed are from $2.99 to $23.99 in price.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
What an awful product video. About 10 seconds of it are relevant to what it does, which is an auto correct keyboard, which iPhone already has. Maybe the claim is that you don't have to look at it?

Based on watching the video, I identified what seemed to be two main features (not including the typing while there was no keyboard on the screen). As your typing, along the top of the keyboard it seemed to show various words that are what it thought you might be typing, and I imagine you could tap those to move along. Then, it looked like you swipe at the end of each word, which I imagine tells it you're done typing that word and want to go with the nearest word (which is I'm assuming the first one it is displaying above the keyboard). Is that right? Is that all there is to it? I mean, not saying it's bad, but doesn't seem revolutionary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.