Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to Chinese site C Technology [Google Translate, via GForGames], Apple is planning to release its long-rumored iWatch alongside the next iPhone in October 2014, with the company having tested two iWatch prototypes. However, the report also states that Apple has not decided on the final screen size of the device, with the prototype units being powered by a 100 mAh battery. The iWatch is also said to include wireless charging capabilities which will allow the device to charge from up to a meter away.

The report questions the reported inclusion of a 100 mAh battery, noting that it seems far too small to allow for significant battery life. Samsung's Galaxy Gear watch contains a 315 mAh battery and has received criticism over poor battery life.

ipod_nano_watchface_wrist-800x411.jpg
Sixth-generation iPod nano with watch face
Battery life has previously been reported as being an issue for Apple, with iWatch prototypes lasting only 1-2 days on a charge and the company hoping to find ways to extend that to 4-5 days. C Technology notes that wireless charging would be one way to reduce the burden of frequent charges, but it is unclear exactly how it would be implemented by Apple. A 100 mAh battery in the iWatch would roughly match the 105 mAh battery seen in the sixth-generation iPod nano that was designed in part to be able to be used as a watch.

In contrast, a report last month from Digitimes stated that the iWatch would be released in Q2 2014, with component makers having started pilot production for the device. The report also stated that low part yields have pushed back mass production of the device from an internal target date of Q1 2014 to Q2 2014, with Apple suppliers Quanta, Inventec, and Foxconn said to be competing for iWatch production orders.

iWatch reports have surfaced throughout the past few months, with Apple rumored to be releasing both 1.7 and 1.3-inch display sizes of the watch for men and women. NPD DisplaySearch analyst Paul Gagnon also noted that Apple appears to have put its major television product plans on hold for the time being in order to focus on wearables such as the iWatch.

C Technology's rumor track record is mixed, with the site being a frequent source of accurate iPhone 5s and 5c photo leaks leading up to the launch of those devices but also sharing several inaccurate pictures claimed to be of iPads in gold and/or with Touch ID prior to the introduction of the new tablets.

Article Link: Apple's 'iWatch' Said to Arrive in October 2014 with Wireless Charging

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
perhaps if it had low power consumption and had some type of solar charging in the band or motion charging from swinging your arm it would work with a 100mah battery however I highly doubt the 100mah claim

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Wouldn't it be funny if the Apple TV rumors and the iWatch rumors were actually the same device?

"Apple releases a 4K TV set that's 1.5" for your living room and a 50" iWatch for your wrist?!"

(What's wrong with me? Must be rumor burnt out)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
C Technology notes that wireless charging would be one way to reduce the burden of frequent charges, but it is unclear exactly how it would be implemented by Apple.

Wireless charging will require iShoes and iMat.

“Hey, can you come to lunch?”

“Nah, I need to stand here for another hour to charge my watch...”

Why??????

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2013
No battery life for over 3 days = no buy. If I go out camping for a weekend, I don't want a dead weight on my wrist. I'm glad that they're taking their time and not rushing it out so they can shout "I was here first!"

Henfold

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2010
If I wore a 'smart watch' and one of those blue tooth dongles in my ear and a pair of Googles glasses will people ridicule me?....

~puts finger to mouth and looks simple~

Why??????

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2013
What features don't you like? I mean, they announced so many.

This. Having something on your wrist can open up a whole world of possibilities. This reminds me of how people claimed that the iPad was simply a larger iPod touch. That notion remains mostly dead.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Would anyone need a watch with more features than a Pebble, if so, why?

7 days battery life, always on display. Not sure why you would want something flashier than that.

I know the Galaxy Gear has poor battery life, but it also screams too much to me.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I feel these things need to have a working weeks battery life (5 days) or at very least 2-3 days, so unless the iWatch is 10-15 times more efficient than the Galaxy Gear I can't see it reaching that long with a 100mAh battery.

Efficiency and battery life should be the main focus of portable products now.

They are fast enough to do just about anything and do it well, battery life is the only let down. We need multiple days charge now, people have had enough with charging before work and then having to plug it in as soon as they get back home. Let's hope the recent boost in battery life of the Macbook range is the beginning of this revolution.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
More silly watch rumors. I'll throw out my own then: Apple won't release anything until they've got a stand alone device that doesn't require another device (e.g. phone) to be smart. And had a battery life that lasts longer than a couple days.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

7 days battery life, always on display. Not sure why you would want something flashier than that.

I know the Galaxy Gear has poor battery life, but it also screams too much to me.

Would anyone need a phone with more features than a Nokia, if so, why?

7 days battery life, color display. Not sure why you would want something flashier than that.

dkmb86g_416fjjxxqfw_b.jpg

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
More silly watch rumors. I'll throw out my own then: Apple won't release anything until they've got a stand alone device that doesn't require another device (e.g. phone) to be smart.

Yes and no.

I hope Apple's smart watch varies wildly from the Galaxy Gear.....

Being able to make phone calls via the watch, or take pictures? Pointless.

I'm looking for a simplified iOS interface (much like the nano interface) with things like music + bluetooth, notifications (weather, texts, missed calls, emails), customizable watch faces and NFC + passbook.

The real awesomeness will lie in the biometrics that will make the watch the second part of a two factor authentication system - working in tandem with the iPhone. Both will need to be in range of each other to, say, make a payment via the NFC in the watch.

Each can also act as a beacon if one is left behind. So if you're wearing the watch and it goes out of range of your iPhone, you will be alerted.

I'm a fan of watches, so I'll likely buy one - if it hits the right feature set.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
No battery life for over 3 days = no buy. If I go out camping for a weekend, I don't want a dead weight on my wrist. I'm glad that they're taking their time and not rushing it out so they can shout "I was here first!"

As Mitch Hedberg used to say:

I don't wear a watch, because I don't want my arms to feel unbalanced!

The doomsday sayers will be the first ones to complain that shipping times are too long.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Seriously, apple just needs to revert to the last gen iPod nano, let it link to your iphone via Bluetooth to receive notifications, and you have a winner right there. :p

Suspended
Jun 11, 2010
you would be a fool to buy first generation iWatch.

Just look at iPad 1, original iPhone, retina macbook pro ..

ilmman

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Nah Apple will make wireless charging work while you still wearing your iwatch..

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
This would be awesome!
Hopefully the wireless charging also comes to the iPhone 6. Then i will be able to have a number of chargers throughout my home, always charging both my devices.

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
Wireless charging from a meter away? What tripe. Even if they used the watch strap as an inductive receiver coil, the transmission coil would have to be the size of a door and would suck up many tens or even hundreds of watts, not to mention the interference caused to radio stations...

JGO

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009

I am not concerned about flashy, but I'd gladly pay a little more (than Pebble's price) to buy from a company with order fulfillment/shipping and customer service that is better than what Pebble is able to offer.

I am so frustrated with them at this point, I hope Apple releases a product that buries Pebble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.