Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applebestof2013.jpg
Apple has released the 2013 version of its annual iTunes Store awards, which showcases the best music, movies, TV shows, apps, books and podcasts of the year.

Here are some of the noteworthy winners for 2013:

Apps:
-iPhone App of the Year: Duolingo - Learn Languages for Free
-iPhone Game of the Year: Ridiculous Fishing - A Tale of Redemption
-iPad App of the Year: Disney Animated
-iPad Game of the Year: Badland

Music:
-Best Artist: The 20/20 Experience - The Complete Experience by Justin Timberlake
-Best Album: The Heist by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
-Best Song: Royals by Lorde
-Breakthrough Album: Good Kid, M.A.A.D City by Kendrick Lamar

Books:
-Best Fiction: Tenth of December by George Saunders
-Best Nonfiction: One Summer by Bill Bryson
-Best Teen Novel: The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson and Ben McSweeney
-Best Multi-Touch Book: Breaking Bad: Alchemy by Sony Pictures Television

This marks the first year that a language app has won App of the Year, and also marks the first time that an app from Disney has appeared on the annual list. As customary for its end of the year listings, Apple highlights various games and apps from a wide variety of categories, so it's well worth skimming the full list for hidden gems.

Beyond the top-level awards for music, movies, TV shows, apps, books, and podcasts, Apple is featuring a number of other awards and Editors' Choice selections across various genres and categories for the content types.

A list of previous winners are also available here: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Article Link: Apple's Best of the iTunes Store 2013: 'Duolingo' and 'Disney Animated' Win Top App Honors

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
I just don't get the praise for Ridiculous Fishing. It's just okay. So many better choices than that

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
images

No, I've gotta hand my best game award to Phoenix Wright. A great port of a famous DS game perfectly suited for the iPhone.

Last edited:

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
If those four selections are what qualify as "Best Music" of the year, then I might as well turn my radio off right now. :p

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Ridiculous Fishing

Starbucks (UK) is giving away Ridiculous Fishing as their free app this week. Normally £1.99!

No purchase required - they just leave them (cards with an iTunes store code on them) sitting out on the counter where you pick up your drinks, so if you're sneaky you can just pick one up.

Also the Lorde single with "Royals" video is free this week in the Apple store app.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
he aprendido español con duolingo :) me encanta y es adictivo mucho tambien

and yay JT being artist of the year, cannot wait for the concert

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
WHO CARES??? Please give us more news/rumors about Scott Forstall, Apple's CEO-in-waiting once they get the sense to sack Tim Cook the bean counter.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Never heard of the 4 top apps

----------

WHO CARES??? Please give us more news/rumors about Scott Forstall, Apple's CEO-in-waiting once they get the sense to sack Tim Cook the bean counter.

You use the same line over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Please stop recycling your verbal garbage and come up with something new.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007

Rumor: Scott Forstall said to be in talks to join Microsoft as SVP of design under new CEO Stephen Elop, with responsibility for both Windows software and Nokia division hardware.

More info here: http://www.scottforstallrumors.com

Last edited:

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia

My daughter has road-tested more language apps than I can keep track of and she raves about Duolingo. I must try it for myself.

Rumor: Scott Forstall said to be talks to join Microsoft as SVP of design under new CEO Stephen Elop, with responsibility for both Windows software and Nokia division hardware.

More info here: http://www.scottforstallrumors.com

Nice. I spat on my screen after following the link. But for maximum RR impact, you should go ad free. :)

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
That Royals song is beyond annoying.

You don't have to love the song, (I'm picking computer nerds are not her target audience), but at least have some respect for a young female artist who can gather attention for talent rather than getting her clothes off and licking sledgehammers.

Did you know that her music was first released for free? She's an interesting girl, not your usual clichéd factory product popstar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.