Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tchiya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
Hi. I have been using garageband with an mbox for awhile now. I am using an ibookg4.

One day, we used garageband without the mbox attached. Then we we re-attached it. After recording a live instrument via microphone, it plays back with a sped up tempo and weird pitch. When a friend came by and did defragmenting, repairs, etc, it recorded fine. Of course, I needed to do some housecleaning, disconnected the mbox. Lo and behold, when I re-connected it, it plays back weird again. I have tried several discussion boards, apple care is avoiding me. Everyone says to try digidesign support, but so far, no online help has answered yet.

It might be distorted because of the live instrument volume, but nowhere do the levels appear to be distorted. I also noticed that when the mbox is attached, the bit rate is 32. When it is not attached it is 16.
:confused:
Help! Tchiya

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
digi design support is sad.

I gave up on them when I was having my Mbox issues. Unfortuately, I can't be of help. I had to sell my Mbox cuz it was so buggy.

odd problem, hopefully someone has some answers. Winter Mute? Canada RAM?

they usually know their stuff.

Good luck

thumper

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2003
Under the Sea
i think its your buffer size. ive had the same prob b4.
open your Digicore manager and make sure the buffer size is
the same as your audio app.

then restart and all should be well.

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
It sounds to me like your sample rate is set wrong. Have a look in your Audio/MIDI Setup and the Digi CoreAudio Manager and make sure everything is set to 44100.0Hz (or 44.1KHz).

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
.:*Robot Boy*:. said:
It sounds to me like your sample rate is set wrong. Have a look in your Audio/MIDI Setup and the Digi CoreAudio Manager and make sure everything is set to 44100.0Hz (or 44.1KHz).
Agreed, it sounds like a sample rate problem. I have encountered it with my old Mbox as well.

tchiya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
problem solved, for now.......i think...

Thanks guys. I forgot to come back and share what I learned during my agonizing, yet enlightening, experience.....

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Everyone helped. Run repairs et al before doing anything. Turn on core audio BEFORE garageband. AND DON'T HIT QUIT AFTER YOU SET IT, BECAUSE WHEN YOU TURN GARAGEBAND BACK ON, WHO KNOWS WHAT IT CHOOSES.....It's funny, when I set the core audio box to low buffer size (512) and also the one at optimum perf in garageband, EVERYTHING played back really slow! Of course I freaked out. But, since now I know how to check things at itunes, Laughing Out Loud
I just kept on tweaking, cuz they played fine at itunes.

Okay, so I set the buffer sizes back to high, well I turned on digidesign core audio BEFORE garageband, then reset at garageband for maximum tracks being played (at the GB audio/midi preferences). I am concerned, though becuase I am using live instruments, and you are supposed to use the small buffer selection.

What's that sound and face Charlie Brown makes when he's frustrated? aaarrrggghhhhhh!!!!! sigh.

What agony this has been for the past 2, no 3 weeks. Thank you so much for being at this place in cyberspace. Next time you hear from me, hopefully it will be to post some music!

Tchiya

thumper

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2003
Under the Sea
just make sure the buffer size is the same in Digi Audio core and your music app.. they can both be set on 512 if youd rather for your softsyths.

ask long as they match, you shouldnt have that prob.
unless your a realy noob and dont know about samples rates...
which i dont think is the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.