Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Griffin today announced a new version of its PowerMate wireless controller for the Mac, bringing wireless Bluetooth 4.0 capability as well a redesigned PowerMate app for easier user configuration.

powermate_bluetooth.jpg
Like its predecessor, the PowerMate Bluetooth acts as a programmable wireless controller that is designed to replace keyboard shortcuts with twist gestures and clicks. The controller also comes with presets for programs such as iMovie and GarageBand out of the box, as users can add custom commands to any Mac application with the included PowerMate app.

powermate_bluetooth2.jpg
Users can also control the behavior of the pulsing LED on the device to provide system status, and are also able to pair multiple PowerMates through Bluetooth in order to assign specific commands to each.

The PowerMate Bluetooth will be available Summer 2014 for $59.99 through Griffin's official website and various retailers.

Article Link: CES 2014: Griffin Debuts 'PowerMate Bluetooth' Controller for Mac

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Sounds cool... my 10 years old PowerMate still work :cool::cool:

Mine doesn't :( Around the update to OSX Leopard, it stopped recognizing the PowerMate and a subsequent update to the Griffin software didn't help. I wonder if this new software will be compatible with the old PowerMate.

EDIT: The product page says
And if you already use a corded PowerMate, PowerMate Bluetooth works just fine alongside its older sibling.

I'll be getting this wireless version to control my Philips Hue lights and as a master volume for my home audio.

DrManhattan

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2013
I really want some kind of home theatre volume knob like this. Maybe I can use this on my Mac Mini HTPC though. Hmm...

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
The old version of this was in the movie "The Island"

A43amnL.png

This combined with Alfred or a move powerful automator than Griffen could come up with, would make this a powerful tool.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
They definitely need a better way of describing that thing. I have no clue how it works? Should I think Magic Trackpad, or more iPod click wheel?

hogo

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2005
so. cal
GarageBand compatibility out of the box is good. If that works with Logic Pro X as well then it will be great.

xxmrcxx

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
I would rather use BetterTouchTool. Nothing to transport, the developer is constantly updating it, I can assign controls to almost anything. Plus, it's a free. It's the essential app on my computer.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Remind me again – why is a mouse so desperately uncool?

It isn't a mouse replacement, it just adds another physical control to your computer. Take for example - video or audio editing. A lot of time will be spent scrubbing through tracks, and having a physical dial to control is just much more comfortable and accurate than using a mouse scroll wheel.

Then outside of that context you have a really cool volume dial for your computer :D

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
I bought a PowerMate years ago and I think it stopped working at some point but this has prompted me to dig it out and see if it might magic back to life...

mfelb282

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2013
Geek Tool

I'm impressed with this tool. Very "Apple" in style and would recommend as a gift for any geek. Will keep in mind for family member birthdays. :)

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
This sounds cool.
Anyone use it with garageband or logic and have some cool ideas of usage for it?

Or really any ideas, because at this point it is something I want for the geek factor, but don't know how to include it in a workflow. :cool:

xMacMusox

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2010
Kansas City
I'll be getting this wireless version to control my Philips Hue lights and as a master volume for my home audio.[/QUOTE]

+1 ^^

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I have a USB Powermate. The hardware is quite wonderful in every way. The software however, sucks. They just didn't support it over the years even though they kept selling them as new.

The old version of this was in the movie "The Island".

I also spotted one on "Firefly" in the episode "Trash". It was on a control panel near an exterior door where Malcolm and Saffron had just escaped through, and were jamming the door closed.

claud9999

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2007
The software however, sucks.

Yes the software has always and will likely forever suck. :( My PowerMate has sat idly in the drawer and as I'm going to be working on a film with a friend, a NLE-happy jog dial will be quite useful. Too bad this thing doesn't work well for that, or for a volume dial, or for playing Tempest or anything useful. They should open up the software as open source and hope someone else makes it functional.

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
Yes the software has always and will likely forever suck. :( My PowerMate has sat idly in the drawer and as I'm going to be working on a film with a friend, a NLE-happy jog dial will be quite useful. Too bad this thing doesn't work well for that, or for a volume dial, or for playing Tempest or anything useful. They should open up the software as open source and hope someone else makes it functional.

You can LITERALLY automate every single thing you can possibly think of to a keystroke, with either Alfred or BetterTouchTool, then map that keystroke to any of the functions of the PowerMate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.