Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Carson Daly just coined the phrase on NBC's New Years Eve broadcast. They showed a clip of Johnny Carson from 1965-66 when they called it the age of television and radio. Carson called today the age of iPods and downloads. Apple needs to give their marketing department a raise. iPod is probably as big as Coke as a brand name these days ;)

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
marketing has very little to do with it. it's the design and simplicity. Look how much sony advertises their "bean" mp3 player or whatever it is... they don't sell nearly as well as the shuffles do.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
adk said:
Look how much sony advertises their "bean" mp3 player or whatever it is... they don't sell nearly as well as the shuffles do.
Heh. They don't advertise it very well - I've never heard of it :p

Happy 2006 :D

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Today at work, as people were getting ready to leave, one staffer had a pair of white earbuds peeking out from under his coat, so I grinned and said, "hey, which iPod do you have?" and he replied somewhat defensively, "uh...it's a Creative [model something-or-other], it's really good, just as good as an iPod...." He showed it to me. I smiled and said, "just saw the earbuds and was curious." Shucks, didn't want the kid to feel too bad. Then, yeah, when he asked, I alluded to my iPod and he wondered what I've got, so I told him....his eyes glistened. Well, I guess we can't ALL have an iPod [cost factors in here for some people], but, hey, it's clear that the iPod RULES.....

OTB

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
OK, so it was looming up on the New Year so I hastily turned on the TV and happened to hit upon the broadcast with Carson Daly and some woman....

Him, I've at least heard of; she didn't look at all familiar and during the brief time I had the TV on they didn't bother to identify her, so I've still got no idea as to who the heck she is. I'm not impressed; she seemed kind of stupid or at least not really swift as far as handling spontaneous moments while on-camera. No matter.... the important thing for me was that I watched the ball make its descent and now we're into the New Year....

OTB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.