Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

domfliss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2014
Hi there,

I'm stuck on which one to get:

32gb iPad Mini (not retina) refurbished £269

16gb iPad Mini retina £319

I'm not a heavy gamer, I just listen to music and browse.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Dom

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can you live within 16gb?

I'd say the rMini is a better tablet over the first gen mini on all aspects. I'd recommend getting that, provided that the configuration meets your needs.

domfliss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2014
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

I always feel guilty with anything which isn's a necessity if you know what I mean, LOL. As the price was cheaper on the non-retina I was thinking it would be easier to swallow, LOL.

Dom

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You get a better screen by far, faster performance and newer internals, i.e., chipset. I think rMini better positions you for the future. My wife as the standard mini (my old tablet) and she enjoys it, but once you go retina you don't go back :p

domfliss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2014
LOL, yes you're right.

Same situation here; wifey has the Retina iPad and if I look at it after looking at a non-retina iPad I fear that 18 years of peaceful marriage might come to an end!!

Great help Mike.

Many thanks

Dom

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Loon at your budget and buy based on that. If you can afford the retina buy that. You said you only browse and listen to music, should be enough.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
The display alone is well worth the price premium. The iPad is all about the display, all other features aside, it's 99% of how you use and interface it. It makes web fonts so much more readable without re-sizing.

Storage could be an issue for media music. You'll have to be strategic, but it's not the end of the world.

I have to be strategic with my 16GB iPhone. I build specific playlists and sync them. Currently have 5 plasylists, with 170 tracks, taking up 703 MB. I get bored of those, I swap out to a new playlist. I create new playlists every 6mo or so. Or a new playlist or two anytime I'm going to be travelling, and swap out a couple of old ones.

If you decide to go on a flight, and want some movies... it might start getting real tough.

domfliss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2014
Thanks so much for that.

I do have 32gb Touch which I love, but I think it's just getting too bad for my eyes. I'm not old (39) but they aren't as good as they were, hence the reason for getting an iPad.

I hate decisions, LOL.

Dom

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Get the rMini. Better performance and better screen make the price difference worthwhile. I didn't get the 1st generation mini because of the screen but I have the rMini and love it.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I bought a 32GB rMini last week. I'm really liking it a lot. I find myself reaching for it over my iPad 3 pretty much all the time since I got it. Not sure if its the "new" factor or if it is because I just like it better. I really like the smaller size and the screen is so much better than the original mini. I've already used about half the space on the 32GB rMini and I've only installed maybe six games and no media (just everyday apps).

Last edited:

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I personally feel that it's terrible that Apple even offers a 16GB because when you actually get it...you only have about 13GB to actually work with. 32GB should be the base

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.