Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Steve Jobs biopic, "Jobs", is now available on Netflix's streaming service for U.S. customers. Directed by Joshua Michael Stern and starring Ashton Kutcher as the Apple co-founder, the film is free for U.S. customers who subscribe to Netflix's $7.99 monthly unlimited streaming plan.

jobs_kutcher_gad.jpg
Originally released in August 2013, the independent film received mixed reviews with many critics saying the movie focused too much on Apple and not enough on the character of Jobs, providing only a "skin-deep portrait" of the complex figure who lead Apple to greatness. It earned a 27% approval rating among critics and a 41% audience approval rating on movie review site Rotten Tomatoes.

"Jobs" also can be purchased via iTunes for $19.99 in high definition or $14.99 in standard definition. A 24-hour rental option is available for $4.99 (HD) or $3.99 (SD).

Update 1:10 PM: "Jobs" is no longer available for streaming on Netflix. It is unclear why the film was removed from the site and if the unavailability is only temporary.

jobsunavailable.jpg
Update March 26, 11:52 AM: "Jobs" is once again available for streaming.

Article Link: Ashton Kutcher's 'Jobs' Biopic Now Available to Stream on Netflix [Updated]

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Aww, I was hoping it'd go right to DVD never to be played on any recent Apple product. :D

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I thought Funny or Die's iSteve was a much better biopic even though it was a satire.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
A terribad movie, to be quite honest. The story is one thing, no matter how much one worships Teh Steve or not, but the movie as a whole wasn't exactly riveting.

Mic'sBook

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2010
Hong Kong
Without doubt, these kinds of films are not 100% true, with some facts twisted, including 'Pirates of Silicon Valley'.
I don't know why, but I still prefer 'Pirates of Silicon Valley' to 'Jobs'.

Maybe because to me Pirates of Silicon Valley was somehow 'approved' by Steve Jobs.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIClAanU7Os)
Even Bill Gates stated to some extent the part of his portrayal was accurate.
(http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/11/3977432/bill-gates-reddit-ama-80-inch-windows-8-tablet)
Steve Wozniak also thought the same way about Pirates of Silicon Valley.
(http://www.woz.org/taxonomy/term/2)

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_Silicon_Valley#Jobs.2C_Gates.2C_Wozniak.2C_and_Kottke)

And I also prefer Noah Wyle. I think he played Steve Jobs very well.

Last edited:

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Between this and Bioshock Infinite - Burial at Sea part II, my night is spoken for!

I'll watch this movie. Always interested in anything relating to computers and the history behind them, and I'm a late-comer to the Apple side of the fray. I caught the tail-end of Steve's run, and don't have the same level of expectation and preconceptions about how he should be portrayed like many Apple fans. Plus, I don't think Ashton is that bad, I rather enjoy his work and his stage presence.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
it was ok

not the greatest film, not the worst. the trailer's narrative was probably better than the movie's, and of course there are some inaccuracies, but as an enthusiast i enjoyed it well enough. better than Transformers or some crap, which im sure plenty of the naysayers eat up w/ a spoon...

----------

I wouldn't watch it if they paid me.

you should make up your own mind. you know, not being a sheep and all?

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I've heard this is awful - anyone care to say why

I'm a Steve Jobs fan, and I agree that this movie is awful. I only watched 30 minutes, and could not continue. I was like, meh?

Reason is: It's boring. Watching the real Steve Jobs introduce the iPhone, for example, is magical. Watching Ashton Kutcher do it is painful to watch. You've got different camera angles to work with, mood music you can use, and it all comes out just boring, and like why couldn't they have shot it this way, and cut out that, and you KNOW the material, just wishing they showed it differently. People walking around on campus talking seems so boring too. There are many ways to make it more exciting, and actually stick to the actual events better, but no - it's just not well done.

I think one of my issues is that there was no back story. Spend a minute and show people using phones before the iPhone. Show technology the way it was before the iPhone introduction. Then wow people. But showing 7 year old technology with a guy saying it's amazing and the audience being excited makes no sense without perspective. It's like Star Wars 1 (The Phantom Menace) - they killed Darth Maul before he did anything. He acts like all bad-ass, but he did nothing but put stupid makeup on, then fight someone and die. Darth Vader has anticipation built up and a back story that you know him, so he's not the joke that Darth Maul is.

I'm awaiting for the 2nd Steve Jobs movie and see if that's well done or not.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.