Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Long-running Japanese magazine MacFan has published alleged drawings of what appear to be 4.7-inch and 5.7-inch iPhone 6c models in its latest issue, reports Mac Otakara [Google Translate]. The images appear to show a flat, bezel-free device with rectangle-shaped volume controls like those found on the current iPhone 5c, as well as a camera with a single LED-flash on the rear.

iphone6c_renders_screengrab.jpg
While the validity of the drawings are unknown, iPhone 6 rumors have suggested that Apple will continue with the dual iPhone strategy, producing the iPhone 6 in two different sizes. The most recent report from Japanese newspaper Nikkei said that the iPhone 6 could launch "as early as September" in 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch sizes. Other reports have suggested that Apple will cease the production of a plastic iPhone in favor of using metal casings for both phones.

Ultimately, it is unlikely that a lower-end 5.7-inch iPhone 6c would be released alongside a higher-end 5.5-inch iPhone 6. However, having two iPhone lines and two sizes would allow for Apple to continue with its current pricing strategy, offering a full-priced flagship device, a mid-tier lower-cost device, and an older device at an even lower cost. Mac Otakara also published a report [Google Translate] last month on the possibility of an expanded iPhone 5c line-up with 4.7-inch and 5.7-inch models.

Apple is expected to unveil the next-generation iPhone sometime in Fall, which is likely to incorporate a durable sapphire display along with expected processor and camera upgrades.

Update 6:28 AM: Here is a slightly higher resolution version of the drawings, showing the smaller model to measure what appears to be 137x66 mm and 7.0 mm thick. The larger model appears to be 157x77 mm and just 6.7 mm thick, with that thinner body requiring that that the rear camera protrude somewhat as on the current iPod touch.

iphone_6c_drawings_larger.jpg

Article Link: Drawings of Alleged 4.7-Inch and 5.7-Inch iPhone 6c Models Surface [Updated]

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Looks legit. Is there a larger image?

I wonder if keeping the iPhone 6 at 4" and making the 6c at 4.7/5.7" is Apple's way of differentiating the two product lines, increasing sales...

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
As a dedicated Mac user that also uses a Note 3. I'd be a day 1 buyer of a 5.5" iPhone as long as it was a high end device.

TenchoGeek

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2013
One thing seems odd to me, the drawing of the phone from the lightning port shoes the edged are curved off, yet the drawing of the front shows the edges rounded off the opposite way. It would be impossible to have a design like that.

alohamade

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Looks legit. Is there a larger image?

I wonder if keeping the iPhone 6 at 4" and making the 6c at 4.7/5.7" is Apple's way of differentiating the two product lines, increasing sales...

I grabbed a bigger image for everybody, it should be there now with a bit more detail. Go look! :)

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
To even mention a 5.7" iPhone is ridiculous and silly. Never happen. Never.

However, the Moto X has proven that a 4.7" iPhone is within the realm of possibility and reason.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Whatever they do, I just hope they don't have 4-5 iPhone models on sale at one time.

If 2 new iPhones release they should definitely sell one lower tier and then 2 new ones.

Jack Delgado

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
Tim is out of ideas.

Things like this keep getting brought up--and I wish that people could understand that certain mediums have their limitations.

Boil down the modern-day smartphone to the basics: it's typically a rectangular object with a screen. From that point forward, everything else is optional.

Camera, Fingerprint Sensor, 9DOF Capabilities, Resolution of the screen... the wild frontier that smartphones once were is not the same landscape that exists today. I can come up with some wizbang thoughts of my own for where phones should go, but a lot of them just leverage the software to do cool things.

We live in a tech-society with an extremely short attention span. Change for the sake of change--but only if its good change, please! A "smartphone" has been defined, its capability set and limitations have also been defined. With all this, I ask:

What are you expecting?

As far as the next iPhone goes, the rumors about a bigger screen are par for the course, and why can't that be okay? A bigger screen with an even higher resolution would essentially put apple at hardware-feature-parity with other manufacturers. Then it boils down to an "experience" game--how does holding the phone make you feel? How does using the phone make you feel? Look at any other industry that matures--this is how things go. The essentials eventually sift out and it boils down to preference.

I would argue its a bit premature to say Tim is out of ideas, or smartphone manufacturers in general are out of ideas. This specific medium has matured. If you are looking for "oh wow, I've never even thought of this before!" kind of moments, then keep your eyes peeled for what Virtual Reality, Smartwatches, Motion Control, and other mediums bring to the table--because these are still "wild frontier" where anything is still possible. Some of them might die off, some of them might succeed, who knows, but that's where the new "cool" is. That's where the ideas are, and rightfully so.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I'll pass on any iPhone that is based on 5c.even if thats the only option.;)
unless it's made of high quality material like 5s..

Vinamra

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Pardon me for my poor eyesight but what is the thickness mentioned in the image for the iPhone? 7mm?

Also, Single LED flash could be a possibility.. considering they went down that road with the 5S and 5C models. However, if 6C has a touch ID, I doubt Apple won't upgrade the flash i.e. to show 'significant' hardware changes!

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
4.7 & 5.7... no wait 4.7 & 5.5... no wait 4.7s & 5.5c... no wait only 4.7... "as early as September", the only constant in all of this :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.