Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside iOS 7.1.1, Apple today released Security Update 2014-002 for Mavericks, Mountain Lion, and Lion users. The update includes fixes for several operating system vulnerabilities, detailed on Apple's support page.

maverickssecurity002.jpg
Apple recommends that all users download the update, which can be acquired via the Software Update tool in the Mac App Store or through the following links:

- Security Update 2014-002 (Mavericks) (80.5 MB)

- Security Update 2014-002 (Mountain Lion) (135.9 MB)

- Security Update 2014-002 (Lion) (126.9 MB)
- Security Update 2014-002 Server (Lion) (177.2 MB)

Article Link: Apple Releases OS X Security Update for Mavericks, Mountain Lion, and Lion Users

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Still no updates for Snow Leopard...

Never mind that! My Apple Lisa hasn't had an update for years! I can't believe Apple's planned discontinuing cycle -- they stop supporting old products so we're forced to buy/upgrade to the latest and greatest.

It's not good enough, Apple. How dare you stop supporting an OS that's 4 generations old. This wouldn't have happened if Steve was here -- well, excluding when Panther was no longer supported when Leopard came out -- and PPC code being dropped when SL was released -- but except for that ...

Tim Crook, more like! Huh? Am I right? Huh?

johncarync

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Cary, NC
For Dvorak users...

I use the Dvorak keyboard layout. After installing the update, my Mac restarted and the Dvorak keyboard option had disappeared from my Keyboard Input sources. I added it back through System Preferences>Keyboard>Input Sources. Not a big deal but something for 0.01% of the population to be aware of.

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Is it me or are Apple becoming a little more verbose and descriptive with their security patch notes? Good to see what specifically is being fixed rather than the historically ambiguous 'stuff'.

Markc1024

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
Is it me or are Apple becoming a little more verbose and descriptive with their security patch notes? Good to see what specifically is being fixed rather than the historically ambiguous 'stuff'.

There is good reason why software vendors are vague about what is fixed. The more the details are discussed, the greater the chance that someone with malicious intent will use that information to exploit the vulnerability. In my company we don't even acknowledge a problem until we have a solution for it.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
My Apple ][ is having some issues too! I upgrade it from 16K to 32K to see if that was the problem and am thinking it might need to go to 48K.

I'm not sure why Apple stopped issuing security updates for it in 1983, but, it is completely ridiculous that I paid good money for this machine, kept it in the closet for 30 years, and now I can't get any updates!!!!

:)

Never mind that! My Apple Lisa hasn't had an update for years! I can't believe Apple's planned discontinuing cycle -- they stop supporting old products so we're forced to buy/upgrade to the latest and greatest.

It's not good enough, Apple. How dare you stop supporting an OS that's 4 generations old. This wouldn't have happened if Steve was here -- well, excluding when Panther was no longer supported when Leopard came out -- and PPC code being dropped when SL was released -- but except for that ...

Tim Crook, more like! Huh? Am I right? Huh?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

IIRC, Apple has been verbose in their security notes for a few years. It's the typical release notes that are not as verbose and of course, the seed notes are pretty much the same.

What I am seeing more is Apple crediting folks more often like: "Meder Kydyraliev of the Google Security Team"

WMD

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Florida, USA
How dare you stop supporting an OS that's 4 generations old.
It also came out less than 5 years ago. Windows 7 came out the same year and is still being updated.

On top of that, Apple is still selling Snow Leopard. You can buy the DVD for $20. I think with $100 billion in the bank, they can afford to support OS X for as long as Microsoft supports Windows. (Maybe not as long as XP, though. I doubt anyone is using 10.1 this year.)

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
It also came out less than 5 years ago. Windows 7 came out the same year and is still being updated.

On top of that, Apple is still selling Snow Leopard. You can buy the DVD for $20. I think with $100 billion in the bank, they can afford to support OS X for as long as Microsoft supports Windows. (Maybe not as long as XP, though. I doubt anyone is using 10.1 this year.)

Considering how many problems that Microsoft is dealing with trying to end the support for XP, Apple have no intentions of repeating it with OS X. They'll kill older OS X releases as fast as they can to ensure everybody's on the latest versions.

It's not just Apple, OS X developers do not want to support Snow Leopard either. It's getting extremely difficult for them to support Snow Leopard when there are better new APIs available in Lion and above.

I have zero problem with Apple dropping Snow Leopard, I just wish they'd stick with the same hardware compatibilities of Snow Leopard in Mavericks. That way, those Snow Leopard can upgrade to Mavericks when it is getting too risky for them to stay on Snow Leopard.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Apple's release cycle is almost yearly, though. They're extremely aggressive with pushing new OS versions and cycles to coincide and compliment new hardware (as they also make the hardware, it's understandable why they do this). Plus, Windows 7 was Microsoft's previous gen OS. It's only one release cycle old.

I'm not justifying what Apple are doing, but it's nothing new. They've stuck with the same release/discontinuing schedule since the millennium. I don't understand why this comes to a shock to people, is all.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
There is good reason why software vendors are vague about what is fixed. The more the details are discussed, the greater the chance that someone with malicious intent will use that information to exploit the vulnerability. In my company we don't even acknowledge a problem until we have a solution for it.

"We figured this one out everybody, here's the diff if you wanna check out the internal changes. Now let those hacker-people figure THAT one out! BAM! :apple::apple::apple:"

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Security update details get posted a day or two after an update comes out to give some time for a lot of people to update before any sensitive security details are disclosed publicly and can be abused on systems that haven't updated.

maigado

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
I had an EX-FAT partition on my rMBP that was corrupted as soon as I rebooted from this update. I was working with files on it when the notice to update appeared, can't mount the partition and get corruption messages about it in Disk Utility since the update.

I had most of my data that was on that drive backed up, all the stuff I really needed, I think, but I'd still like to rescue the rest of it.

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
You guys are horrible at detecting jokes. I don't think he's being serious about updates for 10.6.

You know, I never know. Snow Leopard users are a stubborn bunch. They refuse to update their hardware or rely on ****** software that has not been updated (or can't be). They are strong believers of "don't fix what isn't broken", failing to see that staying on a dead OS and relying on dead-end software is a broken way to work. Or just complete cheapskates, because while upgrading the OS is free, some software or hardware won't be. Or lazy, because it might take effort. They stick to SL as if "one of these days" something will make upgrading all easy.

Listen SL tards: upgrading is going to take a modicum of effort. You may have to find some alternative software that's actually supported and you may have to abandon some of your old hardware. But the benefits outweigh sticking to that obsoleted bitch of an OS. It was great when it came out, and maybe it still works for you now, but life has moved on and you're ignoring the benefits of newer changes.

My Dad is one such user. He still uses a copy of Quicken 2002 to do taxes (SL still supports Rosetta), a copy of GraphicConverter 4 or something to touch up photos, and whatever ****** drivers came with his old printer and scanner.

He's got like 20 years of Quicken experience - if I showed him iBank it would be like "Holy ****?! What is this?" and spending time to learn it and seeing how it's better is something he "doesn't have time for", even though that's a lie. Instead, he spends some of his free time working around every wart in Quicken and suffers through its God-awful text rendering, lack of undo, and everything else it sucks at.

If I showed him Acorn or Pixelmator, same thing. I'm still debating if layers in something that's not Photoshop would "blow his mind" or are "something frivolous nobody needs".

And his printer and scanner? Ever bring that up and he'll mention how he paid like $400 for printer and $400 for his scanner back in the day and is convinced such things are still "expensive", even though today he could replace both for about ~$120 and have two models far faster and better. Although he'd probably have to spend that since peripheral companies are ****** with drivers.

My end thoughts: Anyone still on Snow Leopard is likely oblivious to the outside world and doesn't understand how much of a pain in the ass they are to help (because hardly anything good works on it anymore).

So I'm willing to bet this guy is serious. Snow Leopard users bought their hardware years ago and still expect it to be supported without any effort on their end. If this guy was joking I'd have expected his response to be, "Is Safari snappier?" or "Where is the Jaguar security update?"

ScottyTheMenace

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2013
What are version and build numbers for today's update?

Anybody know what the version and build numbers should be with today's update? Haven't been able to find it on Apple's site.

Background: My MacBook is encrypted so I can't update to Mavericks without decrypting then re-encrypting it (MAJOR hassle I'm told) so I haven't done that yet. Every time I try it doesn't finish after restart. I just tried installing the update to Mountain Lion but the version didn't change after the restart. Not sure if the encryption is preventing an update or if this is normal.

Thanks!

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
You know, I never know. Snow Leopard users are a stubborn bunch.

Damn right! Your father and I are soul mates on this issue.

All of your points about hardware/software costs are valid - but belong to a generation of people who do not value money.

If I paid a lot of money for some hardware, and it still does the job I bought it for, why the heck should I spend more money on an upgrade that I don't need?

As for software, all of mine does its job - with no extra cost, simply to have the latest and greatest. Rosetta is essential to that state of nirvana.

But you left out the main reason why so many of us stubborn old codgers refuse to unnecessarily upgrade to a newer OS - MAS!

Not going in the sheep pen. Not registering with Apple (I never register hardware). Not giving my personal details, just so I can download a FREE product.

Wolverines for ever!

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
This should be front page news and the iOS update should not be. This site is called MacRumors after all not iOSRumors

godrifle

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Fort Thomas, KY
Right on.

Damn right! Your father and I are soul mates on this issue.

All of your points about hardware/software costs are valid - but belong to a generation of people who do not value money.

If I paid a lot of money for some hardware, and it still does the job I bought it for, why the heck should I spend more money on an upgrade that I don't need?

As for software, all of mine does its job - with no extra cost, simply to have the latest and greatest. Rosetta is essential to that state of nirvana.

But you left out the main reason why so many of us stubborn old codgers refuse to unnecessarily upgrade to a newer OS - MAS!

Not going in the sheep pen. Not registering with Apple (I never register hardware). Not giving my personal details, just so I can download a FREE product.

Wolverines for ever!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.