Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Ok the no backlight while holding the menu is killing my battery life so I need to go back. I plugged in my 5g and did the restore using the recent ipod updater but the version on my ipod is still ver 1.1.

Anyone have version 1.0 for the 5g? Do you think the original cd that comes with the ipod has the original software that is running the ipod?

I'm quite annoyed with this update :mad:

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
jsupetran said:
Ok the no backlight while holding the menu is killing my battery life so I need to go back. I plugged in my 5g and did the restore using the recent ipod updater but the version on my ipod is still ver 1.1.

Anyone have version 1.0 for the 5g? Do you think the original cd that comes with the ipod has the original software that is running the ipod?

I'm quite annoyed with this update :mad:

i'm starting to get annoyed too....let us know if you're successfully able to re-update with the 1.0 software, would ya?

john159

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2005
what is so wrong with the software update??? The only thing i have noticed is the videos that you manually turn to tv show do not show on ipod

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
john159 said:
what is so wrong with the software update??? The only thing i have noticed is the videos that you manually turn to tv show do not show on ipod

There's a 17 page thread going on in the Apple Forum concerning apparent problems with this update.

I haven't done the update yet.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Bern said:
There's a 17 page thread going on in the Apple Forum concerning apparent problems with this update.

I haven't done the update yet.

thanks for the link to this - i hadn't heard about all of the problems with this update. i think i'll be waiting to see if there's a fix to this update before trying it... :eek:

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
itgoesbuzz said:
wait what is so annoying? maybe i think its annoying too.

Am I the only one who thinks thats hysterical?

Anyway Im having every imaginable problem with this new iPod software:
- Pressing the center button takes forever for new menus to appear, repeatedly showing me album work, star ratings. Even when I pick a new song it wont show me whats playing, just a blank white screen that says Now Playing on top.
- Skipping songs.
- Videos will either not play or play for 20 seconds, then lose sound.
- Videos freeze.
- Volume randomly changes.

So annoying. Gonna reformat right now using original installation cds.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
For those looking to downgrade:

For those of you who, like me, would rather have the original firmware version on your iPod WITHOUT RESTORING:
For Windows
1. Open "My Computer"
2. Double-click your iPod drive
3. Make sure your computer is set to view hidden files (if it is not, go to Tools > Folder Options and click on the view tab. Select "Show hidden files and folders, and click OK)
4. Double-click "iPod_Control"
5. Double-click "Device"
6. Open SysInfo in Notepad (usually you can double-click it and select Notepad from the list)
7. Look for "buildID: 0x06108000" and change it to "buildID: 0x05108000"
8. Save this over the old SysInfo
9. Open the old iPod Updater from Start > All Programs > iPod > Previous Updaters > iPod Updater 2005-10-12
10. Click "Update"

For Mac
1. Click your iPod's name in the sidebar
2. Double-click your iPod drive
3. Make sure your computer is set to view hidden files (if it is not, go use the program TinkerTool [http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11967] or type 'defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles ON' into the Terminal and restart Finder)
4. Double-click "iPod_Control"
5. Double-click "Device"
6. Open SysInfo in TextEdit (you can control-click it and select TextEdit from the list)
7. Look for "buildID: 0x06108000" and change it to "buildID: 0x05108000"
8. Save this over the old SysInfo
9. Open the old iPod Updater from /Applications/Utilities/iPod Software Updater/iPod Updater 2005-11-17.app/
10. Click "Update"

Congratulations, you have just downgraded you firmware to the older (better?) one AND kept all your songs! Enjoy!

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143118

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
mrzeve said:
For those looking to downgrade:

thanks!

with regards to the "TV Show" indicator that's new in iTunes 6.0.2 and it not working with the iPod, that indicator only tells iTunes to display the video as a "TV Show" and does nothing to actually modify the file. to get the ipod to display something as a "TV Show" you have to change the meta-data of the video file, using either AtomicParsley (for terminal users) or Lostify (for GUI people), as discussed in this forum: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/165185/.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.