Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ituneslogo.jpg
Apple is said to be introducing high definition audio playback in iOS 8 alongside new versions of its In-Ear Headphones and Lightning connector, according to a report from Mac Otakara (Google Translate).

Building off of a report last month which claimed that Apple will announce high-fidelity iTunes music downloads at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), the post notes that Apple will enable high-quality audio files to be played on iOS 8 compatible devices.

Currently, iOS 7's stock Music app cannot play high quality 24-bit audio files that contain a sampling frequency beyond 48 kHz. Additionally, while third-party apps such as Onkyo's HF Player and FLAC Player are able to play said audio files, users are still limited to onboard playback at a 16-bit rate. Apple is also said to be preparing an upgraded Lightning cable to accommodate high-definition playback on Made For iPhone (MFi) audio accessories, although it isn't clear when the company would introduce the updated wire.

in_ear_headphones_remotes.jpg
Apple's In-Ear Headphones

Finally, the report notes that Apple is working on a new version of its In-Ear Headphones to accommodate high-quality audio playback. The premium in-ear headphones have not been updated since 2008, however the product is still officially sold by Apple at its retail locations and in its Online Store for $79.

Apple is expected to introduce iOS 8 at WWDC 2014, which will kick off on June 2. In addition to potentially enabling high-definition audio playback, the new mobile operating system is expected to include major improvements to Siri and Maps along with a rumored "Healthbook" app that displays various fitness and health-related information.

Apple will also likely debut OS X 10.10 at the event, and may introduce Beats Electronics co-founders Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre as new senior advisers following a likely forthcoming announcement regarding its acquisition of the audio company.

Article Link: Apple Preparing HD Audio Playback for iOS 8 Alongside New In-Ear Headphones and Lightning Cable

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Interesting. Apple's old in-ear 'headphones' were awful. Very uncomfortable (no matter which of the 3 sizes I tried) and sound quality not appreciably better than the standard earbuds.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
I like what they are doing. The smartphone market is probably at a point, where there are only little changes from year to year (similar to the pc market).

So concentration on the small things like better audio, better pictures in low light and other stuff seems like a good idea

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Hold on a minute, a new Lightning cable that will transfer HD audio playback? That doesn't make sense.

beowulf70

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
London
Interesting indeed. Is this not an admittance that the most recent in-ear audio offering from Apple, the EarPods were in fact somewhat less than successful?

alohamade

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
what are the chances that these headphones will be Beats® branded?

If this report from earlier today is to be believed, it won't be. Apple is *reportedly* looking to keep the Beats brand separate, however it's still totally possible that both sides share designs with each other.

mrussell

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
What I am wondering is if they do acquire Beats, will Beats headphones also adopt the same lightning connectivity feature. Could this be one of Apples reasonings for the acquisition of beats; to have "high quality" headphones?

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Hang on, didn't Apple specifically say when they announced the lightning connector that it was going to be around for a long time? Why the rumour of a new one so soon?

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I'll be sticking with my wireless earphones, Plantronic Backbeat Go 2's. Once you're accustomed to the convenience of wireless, it's hard to go back. Not an option for audiophiles though understandably, but what earbuds are?

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Hang on, didn't Apple specifically say when they announced the lightning connector that it was going to be around for a long time? Why the rumour of a new one so soon?
I think the article is a little confusing apple is going to be using the lightning port for the headphones or earbuds

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

Lightning wire ≠lightning port. Also it would still be the same design and be backwards compatible anyway.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Best in-ear headphones around in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more, so much so I've stockpiled a few in case Apple ever withdraws them for sale. Massively underrated and far better sound quality than ones costing over twice as much (from my own experience)

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
As a music lover, I approve this!
Higher quality music? Great! My DJ headphone will love this.
New in-ear? Sure! Great backup earphones. The current one isn't THAT bad to begin with (earpods are great as well for just $29)

Great direction!

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I like all this focus on Music. Something I really love and use all my Apple products for every day, anything that increases the audio fidelity is great by me.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Interesting indeed. Is this not an admittance that the most recent in-ear audio offering from Apple, the EarPods were in fact somewhat less than successful?

More that the product has not been updated in 6 years..

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
I couldn't agree more, so much so I've stockpiled a few in case Apple ever withdraws them for sale. Massively underrated and far better sound quality than ones costing over twice as much (from my own experience)
I may be thinking of doing the same now too.

They used to be $120 for the pre-2008 model. Glad they're a little more reasonable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.