Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has published its iOS Human Interface Guidelines to iBooks. The guidelines are Apple's recommendations and suggestions to developers for designing cohesive and usable apps that follow similar user interface principles to other iOS applications.

The company has long offered user interface guidelines, dating back to the original Macintosh, but has recently only offered its iOS 7 guidelines on the Developer Portal. By making them available to anyone via iBooks, the company appears to be looking to inform and inspire more designers.

iosHIguidelines.jpg
An excerpt from the book:
Designing for iOS 7

iOS 7 embodies the following themes:

- Deference. The UI helps users understand and interact with the content, but never competes with it.
- Clarity. Text is legible at every size, icons are precise and lucid, adornments are subtle and appropriate, and a sharpened focus on functionality motivates the design.
- Depth. Visual layers and realistic motion impart vitality and heighten users' delight and understanding.

Whether you're redesigning an existing app or creating a new one, consider approaching the job in the way that Apple approached the redesign of the built-in apps:

- First, strip away the UI to expose the app's core functionality and reaffirm its relevance.
- Next, use the themes of iOS 7 to inform the design of the UI and the user experience. Restore details and embellishments with care and never gratuitously.
- Throughout, be prepared to defy precedent, question assumptions, and let a focus on content and functionality motivate every design decision.
The iOS Human Interface Guidelines are a free download from iBooks.

Article Link: Apple Publishes Its 'iOS Human Interface Guidelines' on iBooks

adrianm2000

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2012
No iOS 8 @ WWDC?

It suggests that they do not intend to introduce a major version of iOS at WWDC this year.

Seems odd that they would publish a version of the HIG that will be outdated in three weeks - if iOS 8 is introduced at WWDC 2014.

Unless the reason they're making it public is because it's outdated. But that seems like a stretch to me. There's easier ways of publishing old/archived material, like making the PDF available for download somewhere on Apple.com.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
It suggests that they do not intend to introduce a major version of iOS at WWDC this year.

Seems odd that they would publish a version of the HIG that will be outdated in three weeks - if iOS 8 is introduced at WWDC 2014.

Unless the reason they're making it public is because it's outdated. But that seems like a stretch to me. There's easier ways of publishing old/archived material, like making the PDF available for download somewhere on Apple.com.

iOS 1 through 6 looked largely the same. There's no reason to think that iOS 8 won't follow the pattern and stick with iOS 7's "Human Interface" guidelines.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London

Erm.. it's probably not going to change that much!

Even if it does iBooks update like apps do. So they can add that better notifications pull down or this split screen interface thingy if it happens.

Panu

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2005
Virginia suburbs of DC
I notice that the iOS 6 version of Weather is much easier to read and use than the iOS 7 version. If iOS 8 has the same esthetic and usability problems as iOS7, Apple has not listened to any user feedback. Or at least not to the user feedback that disagrees with Jony Ive.

Apple loves Jony Ive more than it loves all its customers combined. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be Jony Ive! I admired his industrial design. Then he started trashing user interfaces, and I wish he'd just go away.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
The iOS 8 HIG won't be public till iOS 8 is released and that is months away.

Maybe they are pushing it out now so they can test a selective update system with developers, which could indicate all sorts of interesting new features.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I notice that the iOS 6 version of Weather is much easier to read and use than the iOS 7 version. If iOS 8 has the same esthetic and usability problems as iOS7, Apple has not listened to any user feedback. Or at least not to the user feedback that disagrees with Jony Ive.

Apple loves Jony Ive more than it loves all its customers combined. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be Jony Ive! I admired his industrial design. Then he started trashing user interfaces, and I wish he'd just go away.

Pardon me but in my opinion the iOS 6 weather app looks hideous, iOS 7 is UI/UX design done right.

About Jony, I remember Steve once said Ive was the most powerful guy at Apple after him :O

Rainbow Evil

macrumors member
May 13, 2014
UK
I notice that the iOS 6 version of Weather is much easier to read and use than the iOS 7 version.

The readability of the weather app in iOS 7 here is due to compression making the text blend with the background - I can assure you it's not an issue on the actual phone and is a million miles better looking than the previous version.

One criticism of the new weather app, however, is that the status bar is very difficult to read when the top-most city (in list mode) is in darkness (it's night there) because it shows straight through... That part wasn't well thought out.

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011

lol, what are you talking about. One glance at the iOS 7 version and you can tell exactly what the weather is like. I would argue that the iOS 6 version is more confusing.

Sound214

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
Sweden
I wonder if they'll wait and publish OS X Human Interface Guidelines on the iBooks Store when 10.10 is official, because of the rumored redesign.

jthompson666

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2011
All of the images used look as if they have been taken from immediately after the initial public release of iOS 7. For example all of apples App Store apps still have their iOS 6 style icons, keynote 09 is used as a demonstration of keynote on the desktop and the phone app still has the sensible end call button rather than the silly circle we make do with today!

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I notice that the iOS 6 version of Weather is much easier to read and use than the iOS 7 version.

How? They both have the same data. Actually, iOS7 tells you what it is like outside "Mostly Sunny" in this case. So iOS 7 has more data, and in my opinion, is just as easy to read as iOS 6.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
One criticism of the new weather app, however, is that the status bar is very difficult to read when the top-most city (in list mode) is in darkness (it's night there) because it shows straight through... That part wasn't well thought out.

Do you have an example of this? I'm looking at the app right now and am not noticing this problem.

----------

Pardon me but in my opinion the iOS 6 weather app looks hideous, iOS 7 is UI/UX design done right.

About Jony, I remember Steve once said Ive was the most powerful guy at Apple after him :O

I don't love everything about iOS 7 but people do forget that after Apple ran the iOS 7 video at WWDC it did get a standing ovation from some of the developers. I think the only time anyone stood up at an Apple event was when Steve Jobs came on stage either after coming back from a medical leave or while he was sick (e.g. WWDC 2011). No doubt there are things developers would change but I bet if you took a poll and asked how many would prefer to go back to iOS 6 not many would.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas

The new weather app is pretty, but it's less usable. The text is much harder to read in many areas, and its layout is almost devoid of organization. When you need more info than the background weather fx conveys, it actually takes more time and mental effort to find and absorb it compared to the older app. It's like a work of art instead of a tool. Pretty. Not efficient. Prettiness awes initially, but tools actually stay useful.

----------

The readability of the weather app in iOS 7 here is due to compression making the text blend with the background - I can assure you it's not an issue on the actual phone and is a million miles better looking than the previous version.

Your assurances are bologna. It is harder to read. Period. Impossible to read? No. But less legible than the iOS 6 weather. Irrefutably.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
iOS 6 at a glance tells me all I want to know. Guess I'm a picture type of guy. iOS 7 I have to read. Stop look read. For what its worth thats how it works for me and plenty of others I know.

The bordering, shading and boxing in of stuff in iOS 6 is there to make things more readable. They serve a purpose to draw the eye quickly. I like that. iOS 7 is like looking at water and everything blending into it.

.X.

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2014
Agreed, the iOS6 version is not only much easier to read, it is also much better looking.

This. He managed to completely ruin a perfectly fine and gorgeous UI.

I like the new functions in iOS7, but the design? Ugh... Worst thing I have seen in a very long time. I'm shocked they let this happen.

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
For me, the iOS 6 Weather app always looked like it was night. More legible (and that was partly due to less information with better text) but more oppressive.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010

iOS 6 at a glance tells me all I want to know. Guess I'm a picture type of guy. iOS 7 I have to read. Stop look read. For what its worth thats how it works for me and plenty of others I know.

The bordering, shading and boxing in of stuff in iOS 6 is there to make things more readable. They serve a purpose to draw the eye quickly. I like that. iOS 7 is like looking at water and everything blending into it.
I agree. Just using this Weather app as an example, with iOS6, I could quickly launch the app, look at the weekly forecast and see a very clear pictorial representation of a sun, or partly cloud, or rain, or whatever and my brain would recognize it in less than a second and I could turn the phone back off. With iOS7's wireframe icons, I have to look at each day's icon more carefully to determine exactly what it's depicting. Are they impossible to interpret? Of course not. But there's a noticeable difference in the effort required to interpret them. This is supposed to be progress?

Last edited:

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
I still have a copy of the original Macintosh Human Interface Guidelines from 1984.
I don't have that, but I do still have their interactive CD-ROM "Making it Macintosh: The Human Interface Guidelines Companion" from 1993, which was a lovely thing indeed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.