Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2003
Ok, Everyone knows that Apple Displays are way more expensive than other TFT's, all you Apple Display owners.... tell me why they are better!

My choice is a 22" Cinema or 2 17" Studios......

OR

2 Very large NEC TFT's for the same money!

Please, please I need your opinion.......

thnx

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Right now I'd say that the Apple displays are not better, they are over priced and out of date. You can get yourself a far better screen and save a furtune by going with another make. Formac for example make great screens that are also pleasing to the eye.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
I agree, the studio displays are nice but they are overpriced for what you get. I sold my 15" studio and upgraded to a 17" Formac and have been much happier.

Just my 2 cents

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Formac Gallery 2010!

Check out the Formac gallery 2010- 20.1" 1600x1200. Amazing image, Apple like beauty, and a max 2 dead pixel warranty.
If you are not a full time Photoshop person multiple screens may not be all that cool.
I'm blown away by mine every time I use it!

Attachments

• img_0275.jpg
    img_0275.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 339

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: Apple Display or NEC TFT?

Originally posted by G4man
Ok, Everyone knows that Apple Displays are way more expensive than other TFT's, all you Apple Display owners.... tell me why they are better!

My choice is a 22" Cinema or 2 17" Studios......

OR

2 Very large NEC TFT's for the same money!

Please, please I need your opinion.......

thnx

The only thing to check on a TFT screen is if it has DVI input or only SVGA.

[DVI=Digital Video, whereas SVGA is analog.]

A DVI TFT screen will cost more, but it gives a better picture. The Apple Displays use a digital signal which gives a much bette rimage then analog input displays will.

Also, don't forget to include the cost of the convert for the Apple connector to DVI or SVGA. (Needed for at least the first non-Apple display. The second depends on what outputs your vidoe board has.)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Re: Re: Apple Display or NEC TFT?

Originally posted by Bear

Also, don't forget to include the cost of the convert for the Apple connector to DVI or SVGA. (Needed for at least the first non-Apple display. The second depends on what outputs your vidoe board has.)
True, but this is only a minor cost, to convert ADC to VGA or DVI the adapter from Dr. Bott is only around £15-20, so it's not really a major extra.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
i don't know

i've looked at the formacs.... and they are sweet, but i love the wide format display of my 22in cinema display to much to knock it.... now if the formac was wide screen;)

technocoy

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Yeah, it's true the wide format is nice, especially when watching DVDs. But remember that the 2010 has the same 1600 pixels as the Apple 22 across and an additional 176 pixels top to bottom. So you are actually seeing more stuff, just a bit smaller.
And if you wonde if it's too tiny- it's not. Alot of OSX's menus and icons are kind of big anyhow.

Don't get me wrong though- the cinema display is absolutely gorgeous(better case too)! It's just nice that Formac has a great option for $800 less.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
I'm looking at getting an NEC LCD for myself. The NEC panels are not only cheaper than Apple's offerings, but the specs are better too. Just try to get one of the Made in Japan models instead of one that is Made in Elbonia. You'll pay a little more for the Japanese manufacturing, but the quality is higher. These NEC panels also come with a 3-year warranty and telephone support - no AppleCare required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.