Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Audi has announced plans to integrate Apple's CarPlay system into its Audi Multi Media Interface, and new Audi models supporting CarPlay will become available to customers beginning in 2015. Audi says that its development lab in Silicon Valley is in an "intensive dialog" with Apple as it works to integrate CarPlay into Audi cars.

audi.jpg
Our customers want to be 'always on' and use the services they know from their smartphones in cars as well," says Prof. Dr. Ulrich Hackenberg, Board Member for Technical Development at AUDI AG. "In this regard, we are working closely with leading companies like Google and Apple. In the future, customers will be able to use the functions available to them on their smartphones via the operating systems in their cars as well.
Designed to overlay an iPhone's display on a car's in-dash infotainment system, CarPlay allows users hands-free access for functions like getting directions, making phone calls, sending messages, and more, using Siri voice control. CarPlay also includes support for several different iPhone apps like Spotify, Beats Music, iHeartRadio, and MLB at Bat, among others.

Audi joins a number of other manufacturers that have partnered with Apple, including Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, BMW, Ford, Hyundai, GM, and Honda, with the first CarPlay-supported cars becoming available later this year. Several aftermarket consoles from companies like Alpine and Pioneer will also support CarPlay before the end of the year.

Update 6/30: Audi has provided some additional details on its CarPlay plans. The company will release CarPlay enabled models in Europe in 2015 and will bring the feature to U.S. Audi cars in 2016.

Article Link: Audi to Introduce CarPlay Compatible Cars in 2015

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Notice how this announcement comes after Google announces their own CarPlay alternative. And... Google is mentioned first.

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
This is great news for me. I was due for a new Audi this year but put off acquiring it for several reasons, so it's nice that this feature will be coming to their cars soon.

I wonder if they'll allow this feature to be used with their older cars via their "Multi Media Interface"

Ambush083

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Hawaii
Crap! I just bought a 2014 Audi A4. Oh wells. I can TRY retrofitting, but never had good luck in this area. :rolleyes:

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Great news!

My lease will be up next year and, of course, I am getting another Audi S5 Cabrio. Can't wait! :cool:

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Can't wait for Google to be able to track wherever my car goes just like my Android phone can track me!

Yakibomb

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2014
Cape Town
Notice how this announcement comes after Google announces their own CarPlay alternative. And... Google is mentioned first.

Well it would make more sense to integrate this now than before. Previously they'd only be catering for a small percentage of their customers whilst alienating the rest. Whereas now they're catering for a much larger customer base.

And I doubt that theres anything cryptic with placing Google before Apple in their statement:rolleyes:

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
That doesn't sound too good for my 2013 A4 running qnx. Would love a software update.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012

well the announcement that audi joined the "Open Automotive Alliance" created by google came months ago... which is why it has been very unclear if and when audi would include carplay as well, especially since apple never mentioned them.

krewger

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2012
It's kind of sad that the automotive industry while already a huge resource hog now has turned their vehicles into e-waste. Not getting rid of cars anymore because they are worn out or broken, just because the radio head unit is old. And it's sub 1000 dollar cost of equipment on cars that were 40k and up new. I just purchased a 2014 Audi allroad. It angers me that it has to have a t-mobile sim and I can't share data from my verizon iphone to te car.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
There have been rumors about Apple, BMW, and Audi working together since the pre-iPhone days. CarPlay looks really nice but has come far too late. Car entertainment systems are really lame today. Carmakers think that making the system more complicated and harder to use will impress consumers. Honda actually did it right. No touch screen, just one button per input, volume controls, and skip buttons. Would be perfect if it worked better with the iPhone and iPod.

Land Rover needs this most of all. Currently, their system lags for several seconds while skipping songs, lags while changing the volume, disconnects from iPhones over Bluetooth all the time, and takes about 8 touch screen button presses (20 if you count times when it doesn't recognize the input) to start playing music from an iPhone.

phil1824

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2014
Audi Disable Voice Activation on the Cabriolet

I have a new A3 Cabriolet with the advanced tech pack and audi connect and Audi disable the voice activation system on the Cabriolet even when the hood is up and it is as quiet as a Saloon. Hence SIRI voice activation etc would not work in a Cabriolet if through the Audi systems, unless they change their approach.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Do we know for sure that this won't be available for older cars via a software update? I mean if it's just a software overlay, there's absolutely no reason at all older units with sufficient hardware could run CarPlay. No one really buys cars solely for the in-car operating system, holding out on CarPlay for just newer cars doesn't seem to make much sense.

jjd

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2003
I have a new A3 Cabriolet with the advanced tech pack and audi connect and Audi disable the voice activation system on the Cabriolet even when the hood is up and it is as quiet as a Saloon. Hence SIRI voice activation etc would not work in a Cabriolet if through the Audi systems, unless they change their approach.

Phil, that is easily fixed. I had the same issue with my S5 convert. Took 3 mins to fix with VAGCOM. Here is a link to one of many descriptions on how to do it...

http://sharding.org/blog/2011/02/02/enabling-audi-a5-and-s5-cabriolet-voice-recognition/

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Car Play Not for me

Today, without Car Play, it cost an arm and a leg for Nav system and a premium stereo component system. Nope, I will buy the appropriate mount and use it to mount my iPad Mini. I will save myself 2 or 3 grand. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.