Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today launched a new version of its iTunes U app, adding several new iPad-related features designed to make it easier for both students and teachers to use the iPad for online courses. Apple first announced plans to update iTunes U in late June.

Today's version 2.0 update allows teachers to create full courses entirely on the iPad, importing content from other Apple software like iWork, iBooks Author, and other educational apps in the App Store. The camera can also be used to add photos and videos directly to course material and teachers can easily track student progress online.

itunesU.jpeg
Students gain a new discussion feature that lets them collaborate both with classmates and teachers, and they're able to follow discussions and receive push notifications when new topics or comments are added.
Let the discussion begin
- The new iTunes U makes it simple for students participating in private courses to pose questions on the course or any post or assignment
- Other students in the class can jump into the discussion and ask more questions or provide answers
- Teachers and students can keep up with the conversation when they receive push notifications as the discussion progresses

Create courses on iPad
- Teachers can now create and update their courses using the iTunes U app on their iPad--getting started is fast, simple, and completely free
- Provide every student a course outline, write posts, distribute assignments, upload class materials, easily track participating students, and much more
- Take advantage of the built in camera on iPad to easily capture photos or videos and upload them for course assignments
- Create materials using Pages, Numbers, and Keynote--or other apps from the App Store--and add them to your course by using "Open in iTunes U" from within each app
- Teachers affiliated with qualified institutions have the option to publish their courses to the iTunes U Catalog--making them available to everyone for free
iTunes U can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Updates iTunes U With New Course Creation and Discussion Features for iPad

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
iTunes U is one of those great things Apple made that not a ton of people know about. If you don't know what it is, I definitely recommend checking it out!

Hairllama

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2013
Already an issue . . .

Is there any way to use a separate Apple ID for iTunes U than the one I use for the App Store? My App Store ID is different than the one I use to create iTunes U content.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'll have to check this out. I'm currently stuck with a clunky Moodle implementation at my school. iTunes U might give me a bit more control over my course design.

EDIT: Well, I checked it out a bit more. According the the iTunes U documentation, it's compatible only with iDevices. Weird, since I still have iTunes U within iTunes itself on my Mac. But Apple doesn't even list Macs as compatible devices (let alone PCs), and course creators are encouraged to view their courses on iDevices to make sure they look right.

As long as it functions with iTunes on a Mac or PC, it could be a good alternative. But I can't use it if it only works for iDevices, since I can't guarantee my students will all have Apple devices.

Last edited:

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
...As long as it functions with iTunes on a Mac or PC, it could be a good alternative. But I can't use it if it only works for iDevices, since I can't guarantee my students will all have Apple devices.

Besides downloading podcasts, you can't get the full functionality of the course on a non-iOS device. The courses are supposed to have the look and feel of iPad native apps.

I realize that Apple is trying to only sell Apple products, but another nice thing would be if iBooks Author was also ported over to PC. My school has plenty of iPads, but very few Macs.

Hairllama

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2013
I'll have to check this out. I'm currently stuck with a clunky Moodle implementation at my school. iTunes U might give me a bit more control over my course design.

EDIT: Well, I checked it out a bit more. According the the iTunes U documentation, it's compatible only with iDevices. Weird, since I still have iTunes U within iTunes itself on my Mac. But Apple doesn't even list Macs as compatible devices (let alone PCs), and course creators are encouraged to view their courses on iDevices to make sure they look right.

As long as it functions with iTunes on a Mac or PC, it could be a good alternative. But I can't use it if it only works for iDevices, since I can't guarantee my students will all have Apple devices.

If you're sick of Moodle, look at Canvas or the soon to be released Google Classroom. I don't know how Apple can call this update of iTunes U a 2.0 release when many of the same issues that plagued the previous version are unresolved. The new iPad version is a mess to use if one has a "personal" Apple ID for apps and iTunes along with a "professional" ID that is associated with a school iTunes U implementation. One can't use both, it's either one or the other. I was hoping that the update to iTunes U could boost my prep for the fall, but it doesn't look that way.

Hairllama

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2013
Thanks. I knew about Canvas but not Google Classroom. Since our school uses GMail anyway, Google might be a good option.

Google Classroom is in limited beta, but will be fully released this fall. It's essentially a LMS on top of Google Docs. Looks promising. Also check out Piazza as a discussion forum. It has a number of interesting features.

I found a work around for iTunes U. I had to add myself on my personal Apple ID as a contributor to the class that is owned by the institution. That way I can use the iPad to administer the class.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
:mad:

I just opened the updated iTunesU and it's re-downloading EVERY course I've ever had installed on my phone!!!!

Long deleted content has returned zombie-style. How do I stop this??!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.