Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Prior to the launch of a new iOS device, accessory manufacturers often create cases months in advance in an attempt to gain publicity and score pre-orders from users eager to protect their new devices. These cases are often created based on leaked schematics and the manufacturers themselves rarely have any information on the devices they're creating cases for beyond what's seen on rumor sites.

While third-party cases for the iPhone 6 have been available for purchase for months, several different cases from popular accessory manufacturer Spigen have been generating a growing amount of interest on Amazon.com.

Spigen has listed multiple cases, both for the 4.7-inch iPhone and the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6, which it has taken to calling the "iPhone Air." MacRumors has been contacted several times in regard to these cases, which many readers believe offer legitimate details on the iPhone 6 because they're coming from a "reputable" source.

spigen.jpg
Spigen uses photoshopped iPhone 5s images with curved edges to fit into its iPhone 6 cases, which are undoubtedly based on leaked schematics that have been circulating around the Internet for months. The images do not offer any insight into the next-generation iPhone's appearance and Spigen's "iPhone Air" moniker for the 5.5-inch iPhone is a mere guess, based on a term bandied about by Chinese media reports. Spigen's September 30 release date also delivers no inside information about the iPhone 6, as it is a safe date in line with rumors pointing towards an early September introduction.

Along with the cases posted on Amazon by Spigen, Amazon Japan also made headlines last week when an iPhone 6 listing appeared with specific details on the iPhone 6, including a 4.7-inch display, dimensions of 13 x 6.5 x 0.7cm, and a weight of 113 grams.

japaniphone.jpg
Many sites reported on the listing as a leak directly from Amazon.com, but in fact, it was listed by a third-party seller who used images taken from MacRumors and coupled them with details derived solely from rumors. The listing was later removed by Amazon.

As we draw closer to the launch of the iPhone 6, similar "leaks" will undoubtedly pop up from seemingly reliable sources taking advantage of the iPhone 6 frenzy, but it is important to note that accessory makers and third-party vendors are unlikely to have insider information sourced directly from Apple.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Cases and Images Circulating on Amazon Based on Rumor, Don't Offer Insider Information

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Yep, and on every occasion I can remember, they've failed miserably. I like to think Apple change the shape the day before production, just to put these guys out of business.

I could agree with you, but if they don't make them they won't be available at launch. I always grab a case at launch

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
OK, this time I'm the one to say it: This article doesn't have anything that could even remotely be called info. And, equally stupid, they're calling it the "iPhone 6 Air"... :rolleyes:

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
Can't wait for Apple to troll us with the tear-drop iPhone 6 design. Then I can finally use that case I bought 2 years ago for the iPhone 5 redesign. :D

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Yep, and on every occasion I can remember, they've failed miserably. I like to think Apple change the shape the day before production, just to put these guys out of business.

Why should Apple do that. This whole frenzy around Apple product launches serves Apple like no other company. It's not like these folks are dictating product directions to Apple not does Apple care. But why refuse any publicity??

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
It gets much better once Chinese knock-off iPhone producers start making fake iPhone 6s based on designs that may never come into fruition, running some horrible Java-based operation systems. That's what happened when Apple released the iPhone 4s:

surfingarbo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
It appears Amazon Japan are using the MacRumors commissioned renderings of the iPhone 6.

Edit: The article already says that. I must have skipped over it in shear excitement for the new phone. Sorry guys.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Sweet revenge

It would be amazing if all the "leaked" content was for some shadow product that was designed to hide the real design of the iPhone 6.

Unfortunately I think the reality is the new cases will fit the new iPhone 6 like a glove.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I appreciate that this is a rumour site but it's all getting silly now and has for a while.

There will be no 5.5-inch iPhone this year, we are only going to see the 4.7-inch iPhone 6.

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
There will be no 4.7 iphone this year. Only 5.5" phone will be made. Everything else is vapor ware.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Wait... what???

I already bought 10 cases for my new 4.7" and 5.5" iphone as well as my multiple incarnation of iWatch sizes...

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
I appreciate that this is a rumour site but it's all getting silly now and has for a while.

There will be no 5.5-inch iPhone this year, we are only going to see the 4.7-inch iPhone 6.

Oh really? Glad to know that Tim Cook is on MacRumors. :rolleyes:

Enabledobject

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2014
My iPhone 6 Air case arrived today. Fits perfectly.

Are you the one who left this review?
"This case is amazing! Ultra light weight and super protective. I was afraid the projected keyboard and external display may be obscured, but no issue what so ever! Absolutely perfect!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.