Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone 6 may incorporate Qualcomm's MDM9625 LTE modem, according to a new photo of the device's supposed logic board shared by GeekBar (Google Translate, via G for Games).

qualcomm_mdm9625_2.jpg
Originally announced in 2012 and featuring support for speeds of up to 150 MBPS and improved LTE networking, the Category 4 chip would mark an improvement over the Qualcomm MDM9615 chip found in the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5. The MDM9625 is also more durable than its predecessor, allowing for lower temperatures under heavy performance thanks to a refined 28-nanometer production process.

Along with those features, the MDM9625 includes support for next-generation LTE Advanced networks, which have yet to roll out in most parts of the world. News of the MDM9625's inclusion in the iPhone 6 also contrast a detailed yet sketchy report from VentureBeat posted earlier this month, which stated that the iPhone 6 would include a Category 6 LTE modem capable of 300 MBPS throughput speeds. That radio however was said to not include support for LTE-Advanced networks as featured in the MDM9625.

GeekBar also posted a supposed schematic from the iPhone 6 yesterday, which appeared to show support for near field communications (NFC) in the device. The schematic also references a NAND flash chip, which was originally interpreted by the website to be 1 GB of DRAM in the device.

Apple will announce the iPhone 6 at an event on Tuesday, September 9. The launch of the 4.7-inch version will probably follow soon after, as production issues may hold back the release of the 5.5-inch version until late this year or early next year. In addition to a larger display, the iPhone 6 will feature a thinner chassis, a faster A8 chip, an improved camera with stabilization, and more.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Said to Feature Faster Qualcomm MDM9625 LTE Modem with LTE-Advanced Support

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
this fits perfectly with the info our carrier (swisscom) is giving out. they said that while some areas here already support it, the first devices supporting this standard will come out this fall.

ludalukeerb

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2011
UK
I've wondered many times what people need this kind of speed for?! I struggle to even see what people need more than 3G (HSPDA+ that is) speed for..., I get 42mb download speed on my VDSL connection at home and that is more than enough (enough to grab a TV episode in 1-2mins), rather than speed, latency is of more interest.

Even if someone says tethering you still don't need that sort of bandwidth, besides (not that it affects me in the UK) can you imagine how quickly the American Telcos would throttle you with that much bandwidth available to you, if they're struggling with their current subscriber base on 3G/4G...

Jobs, Steve

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2014
Hope "they" will find a brand new kind of battery, a brand new kind of power.

4G, 5G, 6G, 7G networks... great ultra brilliant screen with Ultra Mega Retina resolution... but I need to charge it two times a day...:(

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
That's a shame. The 9x25 has been shipping for over 12 months and the replacement for the following year, the 9x35 has been shipping in a rival handset since June.

The 9x35 supports dual band LTE carrier aggregation that many networks support (all three networks now in Australia) - although only a couple of handsets have feature it yet.

Carrier aggregation helps relieve congestion and gives a peak speed of 300Mbps. It's support on the network side is high as many networks already use two bands in towns. The 9x35 chip also has lower power consumption, as it uses a more advanced 20nm process.

Next year...

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
Who cares... I turn off LTE otherwise my phone doesn't last for 2 hours!

Well, we are talking about a newer generation phone than yours... I expect major improvements on battery life with the LTE on for the new iPhone

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
Does this mean they can sell the same phone here in Japan as the US? Would like to get one here and take it to verizon next year.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I would hope, but I'm not expecting it as LTE radio seems to need to use a lot of power.

The article implies that the new chip would be more efficient due to the 28 nanometer manufacturing. Since the radio chips are the biggest power suckers in the iPhone, I imagine that Apple would like to improve them.

The rumors are flying fast and furious now. September 9 can't come soon enough!

a.roden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Wolverhampton GB
No, YOU assume wrong Mike. ;) NAND flash is nonvolatile, and RAM is volatile.
BOOM!

I'm no expert. But would it be weird to suggest that apple could be looking into using non-volitile memory as the RAM (although possibly slower) so that the memory doesn't need a constant power draw to retain its information? thus increasing battery life... Just a thought

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.