Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

nxp_pn65_nfc-250x228.jpg
Apple's next iPhone may indeed include a mobile payment platform, claims WIRED in a report released Thursday. Wired's sources didn't not reveal how the system would work, but the publication was told that near field communications (NFC) technology will be part of the system.
The company's next iPhone will feature its own payment platform, sources familiar with the matter told WIRED. In fact, that platform will be one of the hallmark features of the device when it's unveiled on September 9. We're told the solution will involve NFC.
Rumors of NFC support in the iPhone have been an annual occurrence over the past several years, but things may finally be coming together for Apple with NFC and its rumored mobile payments initiative. Additional evidence for NFC was spotted in schematics leaked by GeekBar, which suggest Apple may be using a version of the PN65 NFC package from NXP, which measures 5 mm x 5 mm and has 32 terminals for connectivity. A comparison of this component with alleged iPhone 6 logic boards published recently by Nowherelse.fr reveal an unused spot on the board that could accommodate this NFC chip.

A growing body of evidence suggests Apple is working on a mobile payments solution with NFC as an important component. NFC has been mentioned along with Bluetooth LE in patent applications that describe possible mobile payment solutions. Analysts from Morgan Stanley and Brightwire, as well as high-profile KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo all believe Apple will be adopting NFC as a core technology for the iPhone 6.

Apple is rumored to be working on an upcoming mobile payment solution that leverages the credit card data stored in millions of iTunes accounts. Apple is said to be working with credit card companies such as Visa about a possible partnership that would allow it to bypass third-party payment processors. Apple CEO Tim Cook also alluded to mobile payments earlier this year, noting that mobile payments were "one of the thoughts" behind Touch ID.

Update 10:17 AM: Re/code's John Paczkowski says he has "been hearing the same" about the iPhone 6 coming equipped with NFC technology needed for a mobile payments solution.

Article Link: NFC-Based Mobile Payments Said to Be a 'Hallmark' Feature of iPhone 6

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Even if they get it working, we'll undoubtedly still have to pay the 1-3% processing fees for transactions. Bitcoin. Done.

73b

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
East Coast
Finally. Although I won't use NFC very much, I prefer AirDrop over Samsung's touch-the-backs thing. And I don't have a credit card.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
So, a few technologies converging and... payment with a single fingerprint? After you've seen your receipt automatically appear in an app by the cashier? I think I can get behind that.

keeponkeepingon

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2014
Mmmmmm...just another branch to the tree...I always thought they would never do this after what phil said...but things change :)

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
If this can somehow prevent me from having to use my debit card and constantly having my bank account info compromised, I'm friggin looking forward to it! I'm assuming this is more secure considering it will utilize the finger print sensor to authenticate purchases.

Of course, when entire bank accounts are being hacked I suppose it doesn't really matter.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Great! I can eliminate the need for a debit card. If I can carry one less thing in my pocket, I'll be happy.

psycosis

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2014
The iTunes account part does not sit well with me. The card number on a magstripe or RFID portion of a credit card has data that is not written on the card anywhere. This data is nowhere in iTunes. This would force stores to either implement a new payment method (won't use using contactless) or force the stores to use a higher interchange rate. Neither solution is optimal to me.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Great, I can trade not using the NFC on my Nexus 5 for not using it on an iPhone.....

Maybe with Apple on-board, NFC mobile payments will take off here in the US.

thewebb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2014
AZ
If Apple does do nfc payments, then in about 2-3 years most retailers in the US will have this option at checkout

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A little late to the party but then to be honest, I've never seen anyone use NFC to pay for anything here in the US. I wonder how prevalent it really is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.