Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brentg33

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
Hi all
I have a late 2013 iMac running the latest version of Mavericks
I believe i successfully installed iDVD from an iLife '11 disk and updated it to 7.1.2 from apples support site
I able to start Magic dvd (as I just want to put a copy of a movie on dvd for a friend)
When I try to choose a different quality to make it fit on a single layer dvd. It starts making menus but fails at conversion.
I checked console and all I saw was that the thread was burning cpu. While I have some understanding of what that means. Is that very bad?
Any suggestions on how to get iDVD to work ?
I guess I can try a dl dvd

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Any suggestions on how to get iDVD to work ?
Try different media. Blank DVD media are notoriously device-dependent. You must find the media that works reliably with your specific combination of burner and player. Just because one line of blanks works with your iMac and your friend's superdrive on his Windows PC does not mean that the same media will work with your MacBook and set top DVD player. You must find the media that works for your specific combination. There is no way to predict this in advance. This can be determined only by experimentation. The recommendation is to start with top line media. If it works, then try progressively cheaper media until you reach a line that fails.

brentg33

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
actually idvd isn't even getting to the burning stage. it seems to be failing when trying to convert the actual video file to a different quality (to try and make it fit on a single layer dvd)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.