Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munkees

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
I purchased a new iMac 20" intel, when I get to websites that are flash based they say that flashed not installed. so I follow the link to macromedia and install flash. It downloads the install program, I run it, it installs. Then I try to go to a new site and it says flash not installed. I click on that link it takes me to macromedia which then say web browser and platform not recognize.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You probably broke flash the first time you ran the installer. The installer installs fine but it installs a PPC flash plugin. Rosetta cannot translate plugins within Intel apps so flash cannot be loaded. You might get somewhere running Safari under Rosetta (get Info on Safari and click Open using Rosetta).

Norman77

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2006
I've seen some people say they can, and some say they can't.. I just got a 20" Intel Mac and Flash was the first thing I tried.. it works, however I've not instlled Flash MX Studio..

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Norman77 said:
I've seen some people say they can, and some say they can't...
That is most likely due to the fact that the recent version of Flash broke compatibility with Quicktime. A lot of Flash content that has been making it to the web in the last 6 to 9 months is no longer compatible with Quicktime the way older files were. This was a file format choice made by Macromedia (file format lock-in would best describe it actually).

Older Flash content should work fine on your system... the newer stuff is going to have to wait for a native plug-in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.