Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 26, 2002
Anyone out there using something like a thermometer/temperature monitoring software on OSX?
We would like to monitor our studio's temp at all times.
Weve had too many External HDs thermal due to HVAC systems weirding out :p
Im sure its not good for all the gear in that room.

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
Not sure about "external" probes...

but, Hardware Monitor does a great job on late model PowerBooks and all G5 systems. Its a shareware, but registration is well worth the $8 or so.

If using IDE drives, it should pick up all SMART temps, on the G5 PowerMacs it also monitors the incoming Air intake (if that helps?).

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
You can easily monitor the tempurature of the cpus of most Macs, but it sounds like you're asking for a tool to monitor the room's tempurature, in which case it's not possible.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 26, 2002
stridey said:
You can easily monitor the tempurature of the cpus of most Macs, but it sounds like you're asking for a tool to monitor the room's tempurature, in which case it's not possible.
actually it is possible for I found some PC versions. there are mac ones out there but they are dealing with a consumer level monitoring. we need one that matches the PC versions where they send email info on temp status and more.

we need to check the room temperature not the cpu's

thanks anyways ;)

wplate

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
actually it is possible for I found some PC versions. there are mac ones out there but they are dealing with a consumer level monitoring. we need one that matches the PC versions where they send email info on temp status and more.

we need to check the room temperature not the cpu's

No Mac software to do this though? That's too bad, I need the same thing.

I've found online USB temp sensors but there seems no Mac software for them. I wish there was. Right now I have a network camera pointing at the temp display of the AC unit, but it can't notify me of a heat problem if I'm not watching the screen.

tkt2rde

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
Thum...

Realize this is an old thread, but came across it in my search for the same thing... thought I would post back with a viable option that is now available.

http://practsol.com/thummac.htm

THUM USB monitor now makes a Mac compatible version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.