Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
I asked this on another thread -- does anyone know what superdrive model ships on 1.5ghz 12" powerbooks?

Is it the UJ 845 Matshitua model or is it the UJ846 or some other model number?

It should list the specs under About This Mac and then More Info under optical drives.

Curious to know. I know they shipped the UJ 845 with the iBook 14" 1.42ghz

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
i4k20c said:
How come? :confused:

Oh -- it's interesting because Apple shipped early 12" 1.5 pbs with non dual layer DVD drives -- yours UJ 835 is the one right before the UJ 845 that is dual layer.

And I don't know if they ever put the uj 845 in a 12" powerbook, and I have the 12" combo PB that I would like to upgrade with a UJ 845 but don't know if it will work.

Like the MacBookPro, there might be space issues in putting one in a smaller machine? That's what I heard, because people were complaining that the new MBP had a non dual layer in it, too. It is just interesting to keep up with the drives that Apple puts in their machines.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
California said:
Oh -- it's interesting because Apple shipped early 12" 1.5 pbs with non dual layer DVD drives -- yours UJ 835 is the one right before the UJ 845 that is dual layer.

And I don't know if they ever put the uj 845 in a 12" powerbook, and I have the 12" combo PB that I would like to upgrade with a UJ 845 but don't know if it will work.

Like the MacBookPro, there might be space issues in putting one in a smaller machine? That's what I heard, because people were complaining that the new MBP had a non dual layer in it, too. It is just interesting to keep up with the drives that Apple puts in their machines.

Do you mean some 12 PBooks have dual layer drive, but it isn't enabled? Because *no* 12-inch Powerbook shipped with dual layer support.

Can't you get a dual layer from the MCE ?

dambro1978

macrumors regular
May 20, 2005
here is mine:
pb 12" arrived last week!

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-845E:

Firmware Revision: DMP2
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: No

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
Strange, mine has also the UJ-845E. And I think the "E" means it's not DL enabled. But I have no clue why Apple should provide a DL-burner and then disables the DL-function.

Bild 1.png

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Tymmz said:
Strange, mine has also the UJ-845E. And I think the "E" means it's not DL enabled. But I have no clue why Apple should provide a DL-burner and then disables the DL-function.

View attachment 41254

Yes, so all the people that said that the 12" PB did not get an upgrade on the final revision were wrong. They did get an upgrade from UJ 835 to UJ 845.

As to the disabled DL support, I cannot figure that out either. Weird weird weird. But there has to be some logic to it from Apple's point of view? Maybe they felt that the smaller screens on the 12" would mean that people would not be using the PBs for real dvd burning or editing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.