Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mandfootball

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
I need help
i have an ibook clamshell 366 with a firewire port
i have just changed the hard drive and when i switch the ibook on it just flashes the question mark
i have held down the option key to bring up the boot screem but it recognises nothing there
i am now trying to connect the ibook to my imac with a firewire cable but it still doesnt recognise anything
i am stuck so help is much needed and appreciated

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
If its a new hard drive then it doesn't have anything to boot from. You'll need to put in an OS X install disk and boot off of that. Or if you want to install Tiger and only have a CD drive then connect it via firewire and target disk mode to another Mac and boot off of the tiger DVD in the other mac and install onto the firewire connected drive.

mandfootball

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Thanks for replying so quickly
i have the firewire cable in the imac and in the ibook
i have put the tiger disk in the imac but the ibook doesnt recognise anything and i dont know how to make them 'talk' to each other
how to i get them to recognise each other

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
joshysquashy said:
put the disk in the ibook, not the imac

He can't.

Unless he has the CD version of the Tiger install disk he won't be able to get his clamshell to recognise it. His best bet would be to use the iMac and Disk Utility to clone the DVD onto an external firewire harddrive (like an iPod - BEWARE - you will need to wipe your iPod to do this and also you can't use one of the new 5G or nanos) and then boot from that. If that would even work???

You could always just reload the OS that came with the clamshell - you should have those disks right? Then just move the cloned image of the Tiger install from the external HDD onto the desktop and go from there.

If you could find someone selling the CD version of the Tiger install disks you would be able to get this done without needing the external HDD.

mandfootball

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
the ibook isnt recognising the cd drive as i have an older version of OS 10
i have tried rebooting and holding down the C but it just starts up as a white screen
i have just been trying to get the ibook to recognise the firewire by starting up holding T the firewire symbol runs across the screen
when i then have the cable in the imac and start it up as a target disk it just runs with the firewire on the screen too
i need more help

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Try this...
target disk mode the iBook to the iMac. Do this by plugging the iMac to the iBook and turning on the iMac. Now turn on the iBook while holding down "T". The iBook screen will have the firewire logo and you should see the iBook's HDD on the iMac's desktop. On the iMac navigate to Mac HD>System (folder with an "X" logo on it) and drag it to the iBook's HDD. Eject the iBook HD and restart the iBook. If that doesn't work try dragging Mac HD> Library to the iBook as well. (so you have iBook HD> system and Library)

Edit* I forgot "Applications" You'll want those.

mandfootball

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Hi Kingsly
i have tried this
i had the firewire symbol on the ibook
but the ibook HD didnt appear on the imac desktop screen though and i have no idea why or how to set the imac to search for it

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Thats strange. The iMac should surely be seeing the iBook HDD. :confused:
Are you sure the firewire port on the iBook is working correctly? Otherwise I believe its the iMac's fault.
Umm, I don't know. What iMac are you using? Check system profiler and disk utility to see if the iMac is reading the iBook. It will either show up as a firewire drive or, in disk utility, a... er... firewire drive. If all else fails get a hold of a tiger install CD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.